Pouring cup or pouring down the downsprue?

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by John Gaertner, Jul 4, 2022.

1. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

On my naturally aspirated burner, being all the way open with the air shutter does not seem as good as being a little restricted (70-80% open), and a stiff cross breeze used to mess with it until I made a little horn for it. Too far open or a breeze would make it 'pop'. I should have sprung for one with a gauge...

Burner orifice is about .040" (1mm) = 0.00126 sqin or 0.00811 sqcm area
    Air intake (3 slots 1.610 x .335")= 1.5458 sqin or 9.9729 sqcm area

gongyi_6kg_burnermods.jpg

2. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

Thanks FishbonzWV. I do appreciate the helpful details. Jgaertner

3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I did some testing of "golf ball drop" as a means of testing sand hardness. (Some clever folks may refer to this as the "goof ball drop.") It does work and does discriminate degrees of softness quite well. Its most redeeming feature is that tool cost is low---one Titleist VP-1 Pro ball and one tape measure. I dropped from 18 inches height which I chose arbitrarily. Rather than bury the info here in this thread, I will start a new thread in the sand casting sub-forum.

Here is the thread:http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/in...test-using-a-golf-ball-and-tape-measure.2294/

Denis

4. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

Hello Forum, I was hoping to get some casting done last week but the weather here in VA was not favorable. I did get to test my LPG burner with pressure gauge installed. I took my old "Foundry101.com" burner all apart and put it back together with a 0-60 PSI gauge down stream from the pressure regulator. When I ran the furnace it was clearly running with a much better, neutral blue or clear flame. Very different from the previous situation where it was very yellow flame and lots of burner noise. It worked best at about 6 to 8 PSI. I melted some old, left over sprues and feeders and made ingots out of them. It did seem to take longer to get to temperature than before but that is a OK trade off for a more neutral flame. Once cooled, I cut them in half on the band saw and I do not see any signs of porosity in the ingots.

I receive a shipment of finer Petrobond to use as facing sand for my axle covers patterns. I will try ramming a couple molds with this new sand and see whether I get better results with the new burner set up and finer sand? It is going to be a while, as the 10 day forecast is not promising for casting. Very hot and humid!

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That's right about in the middle of the 1-15 psig supply pressure range referenced on the similarly sized Reil burner. NA burners are dead simple but you'll have to see how it suits you. If you decide you want higher melting power, a forced air burner will have higher capacity if you don't mind the complication of a blower, and as previously mentioned, it can make tuning somewhat easier (and a different power/fuel consumption levels) since fuel and air can be independently adjusted. Forced air burners also tend to be a less sensitive to downstream conditions in the furnace. Good news is your burner can be used with or without forced air.

Best,
    Kelly