Raw EPS pellets

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Wader, Jun 21, 2023.

1. Wader

Wader Copper

Does anyone have a source for raw, unexpanded polystyrene beads?

2. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Silver

Been a while since I went looking for any.. Bought some off Ebay. must have been expired.. barely expanded at all.. The stuff does age out just sitting on the shelf.. Just found this.. Thermoplastic Polymorph Beads Moldable for Crafts 1 POUND - Etsy ,may order a pound for myself.

Fredo
    Sent a message to seller asking if it can be expanded in an aluminum mold using boiling water..

Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
  3. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
  4. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Smoke,
    Have you tried reaching out to one of the companies and asking to buy a 1 pd "Sample" for a test batch? They don't need to know that your "Startup" is just you in the shed ;)

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

6. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

No.

My personal interest is more along the lines of small scale production. A few years ago I purchased a small quantity from a school supply company (that is either out of business or I can't find on the internet anymore) and they worked as advertised.
    The project that I have in mind is still viable but I haven't the time, or spare cash right now, to fully develop the product.
    Once that changes* I'll buy by the pallet (or simply outsource the foam pattern production) but in between now and then under 10# quantities are little more than interesting diversions.

For those of us at amateur/hobby levels 50 to 100 pound lots would be a sweet spot for overall cost and practical use.
    These things don't age well. Even at the scale of production I think may be reasonable for my little project a 2000 pallet would likely go stale before I used all of it.

If we could find someone in the same position as I am, but actually over the hump of starting production, maybe we would have a stable source of small quantities?

* the bean counting numbers just aren't good enough for me to risk the few saved beans I have.

7. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Silver

I've found a lot of aluminum duck decoy molds for sale. By expressing a real interest in acquiring a few molds might be a path to finding a bead supplier. What can a person do? The desire to build a small flock of decoys without buying a whole pallet of beads, seems impossible.. What would you as a seller of molds suggest??
    Something along those lines.. Flat out lies.. No harm done other than disappointing the seller.. Not the kind of lies that'll send you straight to hell. Maybe just a little more tarnish on your soul.