Red brass & Copper

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Skratch, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Skratch

Skratch Silver

I have a bunch of red brass, can I blend some copper to get a more bronze color ?
    If so what would be a good ratio ?

Thanks,, John ,,,

2. Just let it tarnish a bit and it'll be bronze rather than brass coloured.

Skratch likes this.
  3. I went to the workshop and took a photo to show the difference: the top casting is red brass/leaded gunmetal LG2 85:5:5:5 copper tin, lead, zinc and the bottom casting is a mongrel mix of about 70% brass and 30% red brass. They were cast in 2011 and have been handled a fair bit over the years.

red brass vs brass.jpg

The exact same casting on April 2012
    Bronze spindle casting 3.jpg

The mystery brass casting September 2013, not long after casting.
    brass spindle 1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    Skratch likes this.
  4. Skratch

Skratch Silver

Thanks Mark, it helps to see the difference.
    John,,,

5. Rasper

Rasper Silver

There are certain alloys that have been proven to work well in casting and over time. 85 three 5 is one of them. My advice is "don't mess with it."

I learned long ago, back in the day, when I ran a old-fashioned shipyard on the Chesapeake Bay. We built and repaired wood boats. There was an established technology. Lots of young experts would come along with their bright , college-boy, ideas. Most of them proved to be less than useful. The old ways work because they have been tested repeatedly in the most adverse conditions imaginable. You do not want to be a thousand miles from land in a storm in a boat that has been built or repaired with college-boy technology.

If you are just messing around and experimenting, then go for it. But if you have a job to produce for either a client or for your reputation, stick with the proven alloys.

Richard

Tobho Mott and Skratch like this.
  6. Skratch

Skratch Silver

Richard, I'm just an old retired country boy, 74 next mth. , always had an interest in casting but never tried it. Had to give up a
    lot of my interests so I figured it's time to try something new, if you give up for the rocking chair a fellow goes sour quick.
    Didn't know squat about casting but thanks to You Tube videos and the great folks here I've learned a lot. I'm just making
    things for my kids and grand kids. I appreciate all input and continue to learn, at least trying anyway. I don't do any casting for
    anyone but gift things for friends. If I charged for it that would be work and I've had enough of that to last me a lifetime. ; )
    Thanks for your reply, I appreciate all advice and suggestions ,,,
    Old time ship building I've always found interesting, especially when only hand tools were used, same with the early gunsmith
    masters, that workmanship just can't be achieved now days except by a few.
    John,,,

Tops likes this.
  7. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

Hello John,

Do you have a source for red brass? I would like to find enough to cast 3-4 pieces for my self. Smallest commercial amount I can find is 20 Lbs.

Thanks,

Jgaertner

8. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

where are you at? helps with sourcing

V/r HT1

P.S. basically if you want 5lb, ill send it to you for shipping, if you are across town firm me, that would be easier

9. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

Hello HT1, I live in central Virginia. I would be glad to pay you for some red brass with shipping if you are willing. Paypal? or a check?

I need enough to do about 5-6 pieces and fill the sprues... No larger than a persons fist, each parts.

Jgaertner

10. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

dude, maybe some more precise measurements, my fist is 4X4X3 or 48 cubic inches which equals 15.36 Lbs of brass X 6 , is 92 Lbs
    your looking for at least 100 Lbs really throw in gating system and melt loss, your looking at twice that , so hit up whoever quoted to the 20Lb increments, and yes I know they probably quoted you $6/ Lbs , that really is what ingots run
    otherwise you have to source some scrap

V/r HT1

11. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

HT1, You are correct. I will have to just bite the bullet and order a commercial ingot of red brass from foundry supply company. There are no scrap yards around anymore where I live. The one that use to be open, is closed and they stopped people from rummaging through their piles of raw material years ago.

Jgaertner