Same window nav from home page...?

Discussion in 'Forum suggestions' started by J.Vibert, Oct 19, 2017.

1. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Something that erks me about some websites is navigating away from the home page, by following a link, and the link opens a new tabe (web browser instance when using a phone).

This happens here when I go to TheHomeFoundry.org and then nav here via the forum link.

Not sure if this is a forum setting or not, but I only run into it occasionally.

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Thats how i have it configured on the server. " open in new window"
    Tried hitting that store button yet? Lol

3. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Yep... I have now...lol

Is there a method in the "open in new window" madness...?

4. DavidF

Not really...

5. OCD

OCD Silver

Just like a woman,
    complain, complain, complain. :rolleyes:

DavidF likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

That's an operator issue with YOUR BROWSER... Whatcha running and maybe I can help?

Instead of left clicking links... I suggest you Right Click and hit open in new TAB. Tabs are easy to close, hit the X.... I am a firefox user. Explorer and safari both suck!

7. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Not a browser issue... Already been said that it's a website setting. I generally use chrome. Unless of course I need to interface with hardware that doesn't play well with it.

I'll just use the direct link to the forum rather than the website url.

Figured this was the place to suggest improvements. Lesson learnt...

8. Jason

Jason Gold

9. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Lol... Do you read the posts prior to commenting jason.

David admitted the new window nav is a website setting and then you claim I have browser/user issue. Then later I comment that I'll just use the direct link to the forum, and you chime in telling me to do the exact same thing...lol.

I think you are indeed missing something...lol. FWIW, skipping the home page by using the direct link doesn't fix the "problem" ("problem" being a subjective point of view).

10. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I end up with a main page window hanging around in the background for no particularly apparent reason too when I use it to get to the forum instead of navigating directly to the /index.php address. doesn't bother me at all, I just use the index.php address instead since most time I am just looking for the forums anyhow. I'll have to go check out that store link, I suppose not noticing that is a downside of bypassing the main page.

(LOL, wow the store is looking great!)

Jeff

11. Tobho Mott

Similar possible "issue" with my pictures here... I see when other people post thumbnails, when I click on them I get a pop-up slideshow interface with Next and Prev buttons etc. But when I use thumbnails, sometimes my pictures open in a separate window instead of like what I just described. I ended up changing my contest entry thread pix to full size because of this. Just FYI and FWIW.

Jeff

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Who uses the home page? When you use AA did you always go to that one stupid page and click it again just to come through the front door? I didn't think any one did that. It wastes time.

I get site updates and often comment via email, so I may not see another comment. I've got a wix website that is driving me nuts, maybe I should hire you to fix that. Need any cheap bronze work done?

13. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

So much drama over such a simple suggestion.

Everyone's signature link at AA (including you jason) that directs you here, sends you to the home page. That is why I landed on the Thehomefoundry.org home page, and that's why I noticed the new page "problem" when then nav'ing to this forum.

So I'll answer you're question with a question, or two. Why link everyone to the stupid home page you suggest no one go to...? Why waste my time, and everyone else's...?

lol

Tobho Mott likes this.
  14. DavidF

I havent heard of any one having that problem. Not sure what to think about it.

Makes the spam bots have to work harder too doesnt it??

15. Tobho Mott

Hmm. Just took a look at my furnace build thread and it is not affected in that way. Maybe just a 1-time weirdness or a glitch at my end, or even from my specific PC at work...? If nobody else mentions it I guess it is a non-issue. Not really even an actual problem to begin with, just strange.

Jeff

16. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

If it makes managing your website easier for any reason, then I would consider it a feature rather than a problem. :)

17. DavidF

Possible something with their pop up blocker or web safety feature they use??

18. Tobho Mott

I was on my phone when I said my furnace build thread works right, now back in my cell and the PC here is acting up as described when I check it again; no slideshow mode. So yeah, I think you nailed it. Carry on...

Jeff