Skimmer type and material

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Miles Lowry, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I think my pliers tongs pliers came in a set of 5 different pliers for $20 or so from Walmart. Cheap as I could find. I used my 110v fluxcore welder to attach rebar handles. They didn't break when I bashed them against the ground, so I called it good and went with that. :oops:

Jeff

dennis likes this.
  2. dennis

dennis Silver

Most likely, I won't be able/willing to Mungle any decent pliers, so I'll need to make do.

I've had some small experience with heating up gloves, thus far while welding. Is 1/8 inch material a requirement to stop radiant heat? (Or does the mass slow things down more than, say, .032? 1/8 will need purchase. .032 I have.)

3. dennis

dennis Silver

Is your rebar purchased or 'acquired'? Finding the stuff in my area is not easy outside of full-price store environments. A36/1018 is often a better deal then.

4. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

The aluminum acts like a mirror so mass is unimportant. Foil would work if it could hold its shape. I'd use any light metal sheet/plate that I had handy. The aluminum is nice cuz it is light weight, I had some in a pile of scrap, it is so easy to saw on the tablesaw and the hole was very easy using a hole saw. A piece of plywood with a foil wrap would work just fine.

Denis

dennis likes this.
  5. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

It's acquired, came with the house. Don't overthink dross skimmer and ingot tong handles, they can be any long enough piece of steel to keep your hands out of the fire.

Jeff