Smoothing coat for PLA?

Discussion in 'Lost PLA casting' started by Ferrisbeu, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

Any suggestions for a coating for smoothing out the printing lines that will burn out? Smooth On makes a 2 part resin designed for it, but I dont know if epoxy resin will burn out with no ash. Was thinking of Elmers glue. Any help would be appreciated. Im using Suspendaslurry. New to playing with PLA.

2. Mach

Mach Silver

PLA can be vapor smoothed with Dichloromethane. Its nasty stuff and not recommended. https://bitfab.io/blog/how-to-smooth-pla/

PVB (polysmooth) smooths with isopropyl alcohol. Polycast, from the same manufacturer Polymaker, is made to burnout. I've not had a problem with it but other have had problems with a clean burnout. I've not tried burning out XTC 3D coating so can't help there. I'd try soft wax and then smooth with naptha. I've seen others use primer coats and then sand it back but no examples to show.

Ferrisbeu likes this.
  3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Automotive clear coat. But it takes several coats and sanding if you are not using a catalyst to cure the clear...
    I should also mention that if you use silk type filaments that you can sand them with 320 grit but it's still some work..
    I've also used DME on a cloth to smooth prints.
    Could be DBE, I'll have to double check...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Ferrisbeu likes this.
  4. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

I was looking at the XTC3D but all it is, is a glorified faster curing epoxy resin. Does anyone know if a thin coat of 2 part epoxy will burn out?

5. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

Just ordered some PLB. be here tomorrow. Looks promising!!

6. DavidF

What's PLB??

DME= dimethyl ester. A solvent we used in the composites industry...
    DBE= dibasic ester. ""

7. DavidF

You would need to see this in person to appreciate it.... but it was smoothed with one of the pre mentioned chemicals. Mostly just on the beak and above the eyes..
    20180807_000044.jpg

BattyZ and Ferrisbeu like this.
  8. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

look it up on Amazon. It smooths with Iso Alcohol. Hope it prints well!!

9. Mach

Mach Silver

DavidF likes this.
  10. DavidF

Ah.. I know what it is now...
    Hang on for the black smoke burn out... lol

11. rocco

rocco Silver

You want to clue the rest of us in?

12. DavidF

He meant pvb

13. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

oops

DavidF likes this.
  14. I have seen a few youtube videos where after printing with pla they coat the part with resin that is used in a 3D resin printer. It does need curing. I have not had the need to try this.
    Lee

15. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

Well, after 2 good prints out of 10, and troubleshooting over and over, its going back to Amazon. I have enough frustration in my life without that POS. I love Amazon. Hate Bezos though.

16. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

OK! New filament printer. Go an Anycubic Mega S and WOW!!!!! what a nice machine and prints WELL!

17. DavidF

The anycubic product line is pretty good, especially for the money.
    I'm sporting the Chiron, predator, and photon.
    Hopefully soon I'll have the time to get back to printing some stuff up for casting....

Ferrisbeu likes this.
  18. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

You can rub your prints with wax to fill in lines.

Ferrisbeu likes this.
  19. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Saw a fella on YT that smoothed them by a quick dip in melted canning paraffin.

Best,
    Kelly

Ferrisbeu likes this.
  20. Monty

Monty Silver

Like everyone else, I'm looking for that magic smoothing substance.

I print big parts. The polycast stuff is too expensive for the 20lb castings I'm working on. I use natural PLA with no fillers for my prints. I've learned this the hard way. Dies and fillers make ash. PLA sublimates and goes away leaving little to no residue and is preferred.

Mostly I work with aluminum. I use a classic POP silica sand investment. Low temp burn out (500 F) The problem with wax and similar stuff is it doesn't sublimate or combust at this low temp. It melts and soaks into the investment. This creates havoc when I pour the metal into the mold, by creating gas inclusions. Bad.....really bad!!. I'm trying PVA (mod podge, wood glue etc.) to both seal the print and smooth it. Should have results by Christmas. My next thing to try is UV cured 3D printer resin meant for investment casting. I have yet to test this but hopefully it works well.

Monty