Southbend steady rest

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'd like to have a steady for my 13" tool room O type southbend lathe. Before I go ahead and spend a few months making my own are there any options I can buy at a reasonable price that would be compatible?

2. Clay

Clay Copper

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Zapins likes this.
  3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

If anyone had the determination and patience to make one from scratch it would be you Zap...

Zapins and Clay like this.
  4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Haha. Maybe so maybe so.

I do have all the parts to make it. But I have other projects to work on first. And having a mill would be pretty useful to ensure accurate cuts and whatnot.

If I bought one like those in the link what measurements are important? Height to center lining up I'm guessing?

5. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Height, working diameter and that it fits properly in your ways would be my guess.
    I'd consdered doing much the same for some other components for my lathe, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort for a partly clapped out 118 year old lathe. At some point I should probably just come off the money and buy something newer, but if I can just kick that can a few more years down the road long enough it becomes someone else's problem.

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah mines a young 1937 model with unhardened ways.

I don't think making one would be that much work could probably bang out out in a week or two after work depending on the design.

Here's a few I found and think would be easy to make.
    b95235ba349e5ee71c151c630652ed94.jpg 6500acdcacca8a1243f379e4c74df196 (1).jpg 4ac0fb85ef536ac49ae233910b6dd906.jpg e55e1644a65d3535ef40ea2b5fd354a3.jpg c8e9d16eb728f7a6252a9641264a3cab.jpg 7644a49801b7b5dd5d1f7939ae1a4fdc--lathe-steady-rest-milling-machine.jpg

Clay and dtsh like this.
  7. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Whatever design you choose, be sure to pick one that hinges open and closed. There are lots of times that you will want that functionality.

Denis

dtsh likes this.
  8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmm good tip. Will keep it in mind.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Unless you need the steady rest very soon, I'd look at replacing that old girl. I have one for my lathe, I think I've only seen it twice. Never used it. I would like to have the traveling rest, but I'd have to cobble something from grizzly together. :rolleyes: On the plus side, their junk is cheap.

10. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I have one for my EE. In my shop it has been used a few times a year for the 20 years I've owned the lathe. There are some operations you simply can not do without it. It is, in my opinion, an essential lathe accessory. I fully understand your desire to get set up with one. The EE steady is very well designed making it very convenient and pleasant to use. It is well worth studying steadies before designing your own. In general dead tips for the fingers as opposed to rollers are better IMHO. There is not universal agreement on that point and good reasons for each type. I just think most of the time dead tips are better and most of them are so set up.

Denis