Stupid alcohol lamp

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Interesting. I have a bunsen burner that I need to hook up. Looks similar.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

yeah and I've already got natural gas at the bench. Why I'm jacking around with alcohol is beyond me. You could run your bunsen burner off propane. Stick a hose on the end of your little propane tank burner and run it to the bunsen.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

like this nimrod..

5. You call that a Bunsen burner??, now THIS is a Bunsen burner!......it's actually intended for coal gas use with it's low pressure/energy content.

bunsen burner.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah I had thought of doing that but I don't need another reason for the popo to think I'm a lord.

Plus I want to connect my bbq tank to the burner. 20 bucks of propane is 20 lbs vs four of those camping cylinders for 5 each. 20 lb tank would last months

7. I've seen a few laboratory fires caused by that clear poly tubing by people who should know better. The proper rubber gas tubing may perish faster but it won't get soft, come off and start a fire due to the bunsen burner getting warm after running all day.

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'm just going to use the rubber reinforced oxy acetylene tubing. With a barb. Got it all ready at home.

Mark's castings likes this.
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

10. Jason

Jason Gold

11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah let me know. I have an old burner from chemistry so maybe I'll hook it up with some hose before buying another.

12. Jason

Jason Gold

I'll let ya know.. ;) It says propane, but I want to try natural gas. Gas is just 6feet from where I work. I'm done with alcohol lamps. My copper thing goes Chernobyl when the fluid level is touching the pipes. :eek: When it drops, I cant see the flame. :rolleyes: I've burnt my dumbass a few time this past week and I'm about sick of it.:oops:

13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah I was wondering about that. I tried the lamp many years back but got rid of it almost immediately in favor of the camping propane canisters with a plumber's torch. I want to change to a propane bbq tank with a bunsen burner. I like the low height of the bunsen burner and the larger capacity of the bbq tank. The camping canisters last about a week of heavy use but longer would be cheaper, hence the propane tank.

14. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

You can buy a valve at tractor supply for about $20 that will allow you to refill your camping cylinders from a larger propane tank. I've never used one but it looks like it works pretty good.

Pete

15. Jason

Jason Gold

I've never used one either...

16. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Refilling a propane cylinder inside your garage is the definition of insanity.
    People will die doing this; that is a fact.
    Mother Nature's way of weeding out the mentally infirm I guess.

17. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Its not insane, propane is heavier than air. So just sit a candle on the floor to burn off any propane that escapes...:confused::eek::eek::rolleyes:

18. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm cheap, but not so cheap I'd refill these little cans. Can it be done? Sure it can. just not by this cheapskate.:eek:

19. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah I'd rather just hook up the hose to the big bbq tank. That way no fiddling with refilling. Supposedly refilling is dangerous? But then again given how safe foundry work is I'm sure the danger is minimal in comparison haha.

20. Jason

Jason Gold

Those cans say not refillable I'm pretty sure, but I'm also the type that rips annoying tags off my pillow. Don't tell the MyPillow guy...:D Now there is an interesting man. He was a crack addict not long ago and turned his life around.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019