Suggestions for 3 phase 208v electric melter?

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Tobho Mott, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I have a friend who is looking for electric melters and asking me for advice. Earlier he mentioned he would like to go the induction route, using individual small melters. The ones he was looking at can take a 3kg crucible. (One per student, it's a blacksmithing school but they plan to add casting classes.) Now I guess he is open to other electric heating options as well.

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice to pass along... I have never been able to wrap my head around electrical.

"WOuld you have any suggestions on an electric furnace option? Ideally 3 phase 208v?"
    "Specifically to stay within our power consumption range at the new location I need something that is three phase 208 V or better just to keep the amperage down. I’m open to any solutions I just can’t go to the gas route"

I think he is leaning toward buying rather than building, but he did say "any solutions"...

Anyone got any suggestions?

Jeff

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

If they would be satisfied with only aluminum, buying small 3ph kiln(s) for melting would be practical. Used units can be very economical. If he preheated the kiln before class, melt times would be manageable. Common sense, care, and maybe intervening mechanisms would be needed for shock hazard. Of course same applies for molten metal. Hey, they're students. For higher melt point metals, I'd think induction would be the way to go. Other than the Chinese sources, it may become price prohibitive. If he has ample 3ph, he maybe able to justify a fairly high power unit, say 30kw+. That could service a number of student projects.

Best,
    Kelly

BattyZ likes this.
  3. Tobho Mott

Thanks Kelly, I passed that along.

Jeff

4. BattyZ

BattyZ Silver Banner Member

Here is a sample video of casting aluminum with the "2500W Induction melter." In total, the kit was like $250ish between melter w/ accessories and the DC power supply to run it.

For tiny casting's it could work well for aluminum. Might need additional graphite crucibles. I tried to do copper but was unsuccessful. I Don't think there was enough power. Could melt a small puddle. But when I went for a half crucible only the center of the mass was molten. Was cool to watch in liquify AL in a rapid fashion.

Side note, I also have 208 3PH, trying the route of building a kiln to take advantage of that. Build here:

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/3-phase-kiln-retrofit-from-1ph-to-3ph.1988/

-Z

5. Tobho Mott

Thanks! I'll pass that along too.

FWIW he sent this earlier, so he may already have decided on a solution:

"I am working to procure a 4kg(Gold) furnace that will work for us. Going to sell the induction one I was going to use."

Jeff