Sunday is the Day

Discussion in 'Metal casting projects' started by vincent, May 13, 2021.

1. vincent

vincent Silver

Sunday I will be casting another batch of bells this will be the biggest pour I have done in one hit, I suspect it will go around 32kg.
    Today I am firing the moulds to rid the wax and dry them out, I normally fire them quite vigorously for 2 or 3 hours and then just keep gentle heat over night with good coles

Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

We’ll be watching!

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Fingers crossed for ya! Hope ya film the pour!

4. vincent

vincent Silver

Ready to go, just waiting on my son-in- law.

5. vincent

vincent Silver

I just want to cry, I stuffed the big one up, pouring the bell went fine right up till it was full and then the top split, I should have known better, I had noticed a few splits after firing that is why I put a bit of masking tape around the top. What was I thinking, why did I not use wire, as normal I always know what to do after the event.
    bellnogood3.jpg

6. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That's too bad Vincent. Fails can be painful but it's part of life as a foundry man. Perseverance is key. Live, learn, regroup, soldier on, prevail!

Best,
    Kelly

7. Jason

Jason Gold

UGH! I know all too well about cracks in shell. I won't even risk trying to pour into a shell when I know there is a crack. Taking the time to patch it up and fire it again is a tough decision, but it's better than trying to tape or wire it back together. Shake it off, you'll get it next time.;)

vincent likes this.