Surface finish help

Discussion in 'Investment casting Ceramic shell method' started by ka_6772, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Your parts are looking really good! Don't worry about crashing your kiln. Just SHUT THE POWER OFF before sticking your damn hands inside that thing! It's just a giant toaster!
    I do believe if I was a hard core aluminum metal caster, I wouldn't dink around with anything other than INGOTS straight from the big guys. I do this with my bronze. The labor behind this is way too much to risk any possible cock up by being cheap on metal. There is a reason Kelly gets ingots on a pallet instead of melting wheels from the junk yard. It's all about predictable results.

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'm guessing that's about 22" long....yes? Are you constrained to a vertical orientation for burn out and/or pouring?

Best,
    Kelly

3. ka_6772

ka_6772 Copper

I have seven inches to spare horizontally. Plenty vertical.

Attached Files:

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Personally I would sand cast the flange adaptor.

5. ka_6772

ka_6772 Copper

It would definitely be faster. I'm not equipped for sand and am completely out of space to add it. I will probably cnc them if there is demand.

Thanks,
    Kevin

6. Al2O3

I'll preface this by saying it isn't a convenient layout for shell........but I'll get to that.

Kevins Intake Flange.jpg
    1. The slight incline allows the part to fill continuously from one end to the other with no knit lines or converging metal fronts. It will promote directional solidification and venting at a single point.
    2. The horizontal orientation allows shorter sprue length. This will reduce metal jetting turbulence as it enters the part and associated defects this can cause.
    3. The spin trap is a damper that reduces the jetting. Once the spin trap fills the feed pressure to the part will increase but it will already be partially full and can accept the higher feed pressure without jetting.
    It's not really a shell friendly layout. The pattern will be fragile and difficult to shell as shown. You can glue supports between the features using pieces of old shell, metal, or foam with a piece of shell glued inline obstructing it's ability to flow through the support. Or alternately....

You can include all these features by standing the part on end with or without the alternate gating system. You will have a very long sprue and much higher sprue pressures. How high? For aluminum about 1 psi/10" height. Denser metals like bronze/iron would be multiples higher. Jetting and heat loss will be a bigger problem with this approach but it will be less fragile and more shell friendly. The risk of sprue pressure cracking the shell at the bottom goes up but chances are probably small. The bottom portion of the mold could be buried. You should also consider the positions of features so you can clean/wash the mold.

There's a book by Dr. John Campbell that outlines 10 Rules. There is a condensed version available online. The offset pouring cup and spin trap are features he promotes. Then there is BiFilm theory which is a whole other subject. There is a long thread here on that. It would be good read for an aluminum caster. Just because this is shell casting doesn't escape the causes of aluminum castings.

Best,
    Kelly

7. Al2O3

I'd do that in a heart beat.

Best,
    Kelly

8. DavidF

Jesus Kelly!!! Lol

I'd go a simpler route...

Attached Files:

9. ka_6772

ka_6772 Copper

This is recommendation is more my speed.

10. Al2O3

Other than the spin trap and location of the sprue, what's the difference, especially compared to the alternate? I could hot wire that scheme in foam in 10 minutes. You could omit the trap, sprue and gate into the one end, and vent at the other but the (slight) incline is a far better scheme for a host of reasons and merely a matter of how you position the part when you pour it. Ever try it?

If you had a CNC why would you ever cast it?

Best,
    Kelly

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  11. DavidF

I have the flange standing on its bottom edge with a runner over top and the sprue tapped into the runner.. I added "up" in the second photo to help with orientation..

Right now he is just working on a prototype. Lost pla casting is great for rapid prototyping.
    And I suspect there may be more than simple 2d machining???

In ceramic shell ?? No... would it even be necessary when pouring into a ceramic mold heated over a thousand degrees??
    What's the atmosphere like at that temperature??

Dont get me wrong Kelly it's a nice gating system you laid out, but you said it yourself

12. ka_6772

ka_6772 Copper

I spent Friday and Sat wiring and firing my mill up for the first time in about three years. I had some bad air lines and had to fix the autoluber and spindle chiller. All the parameters were still there and surprisingly the amps all fired on the first try. Today was spent trying to get the hydraulic pump for the drawbar working. No hydraulics results in a sequence error with the tool changer stuck.

Attached Files:

13. DavidF

Fixed it... that was a wtf moment for sure lol...

14. Al2O3

......I've gotta be more careful with administrative rights......cut me off LOL!!!!!!

Given a clean sheet it's not a part that anyone would choose to shell unless that's all you were set up to do.....which if so is understandable......boy do I understand that.

Sure it may fill (or maybe not completely) but just because it's shell doesn't make it immune from defects for reasons arising from poor gating, feed system, etc, or others more germane to shelling and investment process as Kevin has already experienced.

I honestly see very little difference in time to do either what I or you suggested in the way of feed system. Considering the time and material cost to print, shell, and cast, the time to gate it is a drop in the bucket. With all that why not literally a couple more minutes for best chance of success?........and as always, the great thing about advice is you don't have to accept it!

So Kevin, did you notice any improvement with respect to chugging/aspirating with the offset pouring basin compared to your previous pours without?

Best,
    Kelly

15. DavidF

NOOOO!!! You are bound here!!
    ( someone has to keep me in check) :p

16. Al2O3

Well David, I never tried to edit one of your posts before but now that I know I can......LOOK OUT!!! :D:D:D

Sorry Kevin, back to regularly scheduled programming.

Best,
    Kelly

17. DavidF

Awww shit.....

18. ka_6772

ka_6772 Copper

I've definitely noticed a huge difference. I made so many changes at once I cant tell where they came from. The offset basin is easy enough to do. I plan to keep using them. Your drawing above is going to be way too big for me to get in my slurry tank. The natural PLA showed up so I'm going to get back to printing and casting runners. I also have to learn a new CAM program. If that goes smoothly and I get the hydraulic pump working, I'll probably just cnc the flange.

Thanks,
    Kevin

19. Al2O3

Sounds like a plan. 3yr hiatus from your CNC Mill?.....gotta be a story there.

Best,
    Kelly

20. DavidF

"LIFE"