The not so lost wax casting.

Discussion in 'Investment casting Ceramic shell method' started by Jason, Jun 9, 2018.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hopefully still not attached to a safety wire on a c130 :eek:

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I think you'll need more head pressure (longer feed sprue/riser) to ensure proper casting of something that thin. Just my 2 cents though, shell often surprises me.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm on layer 4. No turning back now. I'll pour it screaming hot. Shell makes up for my ignorance and saves my ass.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

I love free stuff. Especially when it's 70bucks a sq ft granite found in a dumpster. The guy told me his 20ft long dumpster JUST got emptied last week. There was enough stone in that thing I could have covered my DRIVEWAY in it! I decided to go simple. 4"x4" block. The bronze will have a peg on the back that turns down into the granite. Nice and simple.
    And get this! Today I was watching a guy in Seattle grinding out some granite and he had 999subs. I couldn't leave him hanging so I subbed and I won a granite polishing kit! I offered to pick up shipping, but he said NOPE. Now I have the gear to polish the sides of these slabs. Ain't life grand some days! The guy does some real quality work. (of course he does, his name is Jason)
    Maybe we can get him into casting metal! I bet he'd be good at it! https://www.youtube.com/user/jkotar20

TS1.jpg

ts2.jpg

Btw, anyone shopping for a good quality wet saw, I cannot recommend this dewalt enough. I've owned lots of wet saws and this one is the cats ass.
    Best grand I've ever spent to cut large format tiles. Setup right, it's dead on balls accurate.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

Ha! I got Just enough twist to get the job done.
    15324875568575404306685574385878.jpg

15324877659854352185589774678624.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  6. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Very impressive to get what you did. Glad it was enough. I figured my pump handle was probably only 10-20% of the mass of the feed system but I believe we have a new leader in the clubhouse for Cup/Sprue/gate to part ratio.......whatever it takes.

Best,
    Kelly

7. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Yeah, whatever works, glad to see enough of it came out!

Jeff

8. Jason

Jason Gold

and I learned another valuable lesson... Head pressure. Got it! When I was welding this thing on, I would have given 50bucks for another 1/4":oops::(

9. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

That's what she said!!:rolleyes:;)o_O

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Enjoy the show!

Al2O3 likes this.
  11. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Really nice work there Jason. When are you going to present it to the owner of the brand?

Best,
    Kelly

12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I like the video man. A big improvement over earlier ones. Really interesting to watch.

I'm surprised you packed the crucible with that large triangle piece. Looked like it was touching both ends of the crucible. I'm always afraid to do that since metal expands quite a lot.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks guys... That book must be helping my work. I'm trying to get better at shooting with short shots to keep things moving. I screwed the pour with the gopro. As luck would have it, my fire guard aka my wife filmed it with her phone and saved the day.

Zap, I pack a crucible pretty full, just never tight. Theses pieces are actually for Christmas for these folks. Only the 2 wives know I was working on something and had them check my accuracy for the shape. They are sworn to secrecy and should forget all about it by Christmas. :D

14. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Lol when you were putting the wax on to seal them I thought that was the patina being applied for a minute there. You should have just let me go on believing it... Fun video!

Jeff

15. Great video!!

Glad your friends don't have access to YouTube...

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah I don't think they are subbed... Hope not. :oops: