The search for DIY light weight insulating fire brick IFB

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Smoking Shoe, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

Found some free time* to work on this project. My first attempt using some old 2300F refractory that I bought a decade or more ago from Budget Casting Supply, and subsequently swept up off the floor where a very messy and destructive racoon had spread it, didn't work very well. My first try was the super simple method I used during my lab days at Halliburton. That being to just add a bit of detergent along with some viscosity additive and mix aggressively to make bubbles. Works real well with nothing but G type cement and a bit of bentonite or FWCA. The sand in the refractory pretty well makes that simple method unworkable. I don't think taking the time to filter out the sand would be worth the effort.

So, on the the next method. Ordered some aluminum powder that arrived a few days late, but considering the supply chain problems today, and this time of year, it was kind of expected. The first try wasn't any more encouraging than the simple detergent method. It appears there isn't enough of the cementitious binder in the refractory mix to react with the aluminum. I added some lime. This test looks good enough to do some serious testing.
    20211221_133523.jpg
    The pile in the foreground is the least dense and was mixed pretty dry with no detergent, like a trowel-able mortar, and exhibited a bit of exotherm. It didn't appear to rise much but I couldn't tell since it was just a lump. The other sample, in the tub, was mixed with detergent at a pour-able consistency. It didn't exhibit any exotherm. Shop temp about 40F. The picture probably doesn't show it but this sample did 'rise' about 50%.

The water crystals are essentially the same thing we called FWCA (Free Water Control Additive) at Halliburton. So far it looks like this is going to be possible as long as Lime is added to react with the aluminum and temperature is going to be a parameter that needs to be controlled.

Next - let the things dry/cure and then cook them in a toaster oven. Once those look good get my brother to cook them in his kiln.

Edit: added YT link to similar

* Stole, invented, appropriated, fabricated - since there isn't such a thing as free time.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

Quick update:
    Put the 'samples' in a toaster oven to dry. It appears that I can make material with the same density, or less, than commercial IFB.
    The really light sample has really poor compressive strength - like 3/5 PSI.
    The sample from the first test that showed some exotherm is around 30% denser than commercial IFB and the compressive strength is good enough to withstand saw cutting with a drywall saw.
    Both samples would likely have much better compressive strength once cooked to operating temperature.

The down side:
    These samples were just thrown together with a set of TLAR recipes. I'll need to get a postal scale that weighs accurately to 1 gr or less so I can do a set of proper tests - and keep track of each iteration.
    There are none available locally so I'll have to wait for delivery.

In the mean time I'm considering ordering commercial IFB to build with. The desire to melt metal is growing stronger than the desire to experiment.

3. What if you got some rice bubbles (coated with wax or lacquer) or small styrofoam beads and mixed them in with the refractory?. After the cement cures it could be slowly heated over a day or so to avoid outgassing cracks.

4. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

Can't sleep tonight. Mind wondering around this dilemma. Maybe a nice 151 and Coke will help? Miss my Bacardi* but Don Q is almost as good.
    This is my current thought using commercial IFB. I'm pretty much a 'poor boy' type and like to use what I have around. The skin is galvanized roofing/siding and the tube is 3/4" EMT.
    This is a lift off patterned after AL2O3s work (THANKS! for the videos). The JPG below is pretty much what I'm thinking but is at this point little more than a sketch. The IFB is 1 1/2" thick and the ceramic wool is 2 inch in the pic but could easily be increased in CAD. I've got everything but the IFB - order pending.

I'd probably build from the outside in, placing the IFB last, and then cast the lid.

Looking for peer review - I don't consider myself much more than a 'lead' so peer is used loosely here.

IFB kiln assembly.JPG

* removed from the market due to flammability.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That's pretty snazzy looking.
    1. The strength of the lower annular section will be critical. If it fails during a lift, your whole hot furnace falls (that would be rather unpleasant). I made an 1/8" annular steel plate that extended inward so it also picked up part of the furnace wall but still sufficiently insulated from very high temps.
    2. Not sure if the entire top annular refractor piece is intended to be fixed or removable lid. I'd be inclined to make it fixed with the ID equal to the entire furnace bore. That allows maximum access to the furnace interior both cold and hot without having to lift.
    3. A major simplification for the lid would be to just buy a 1.5-2" piece (or glue thinner together) of ceramic fiber board, cut it to annular shape, maybe put a handle on it, and call it a day. It will be light and easy to handle. You can still have a vent hole for serviceable inserts.
    4. I'd omit the centering grooves on the furnace body and base and just relay on your lift mechanism to do the centering. A couple of poles with loose fitting sleeves attached to the furnace body will be accurate enough. Make the sleeves the length of the furnace body or spaced so there isn't the tendency to cock/lodge. Keep the interface between the furnace body and base flat. The groove will be easily damaged and fouled with use. After the latter it won't seat properly.
    5. I'd keep the centering features on the plinth, and crucible. The plinth is shown hollow. What's the intention there? If it's drain hole, put those features in the furnace floor. Plinths are expendable and you may want more than one for different crucibles. Keep them simple.
    Not criticism. just 6 years of evolution and learnings. It looks great.

Best,
    Kelly

6. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

1) Understood and semi planned for. Thinking that the lower metal ring would be cast with the lower kiln refractory ring. I am kind of concerned that the different thermal expansion rates might eventually lead to failure. Probably should do the math............
    2) Shown as fixed. I tend to over complicate/think things and CAD just makes it easier.
    3) I LIKE simple. Your suggestion is being considered while the morning tea water is heating.
    4) Belt and suspenders. The lift mechanism should be pretty well self centering. That little detail was made 'mid rum-n-coke'. Exterior guide pins would be easy enough to add if they were to be found necessary.
    5) Hollow plinth, again, is a result of being simple in CAD. The thought was to cast them with wool inside to reduce mass. I do plan to have a couple of sizes so smaller crucibles can be moved up in the kiln.

Yes, criticism. But the GOOD kind. Much appreciated. I'm getting too old to make mistakes at the rate I did 20 years ago.

7. Al2O3

Just leave some clearance to the shell. Mine just basically sits on the metal shelf so it can expand/contract as needed
    There are a couple schools of thought on plinths. They are a notorious cold spot. Commercial plinths are silicon carbide so they are conductive. Those tend to be massive, but after the first heat, that is a plus. For single melt hobby furnaces, low mass makes sense. Here is mine. It would probably be better if it had ribs on top too to space the crucible to allow more contact with furnace atmosphere but I figured that was picking the fly poo out of the pepper. The lower part is insulating castable and the top disc it dense castable for durability and better conductivity.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/in...w-mass-electric-furnace.607/page-3#post-13101

10 Low Mass Plinth.jpg

Best,
    Kelly

Skratch, Smoking Shoe and HT1 like this.
  8. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

Current iteration:
    IFB kiln assembly.JPG
    I really liked the suggestion by AL2O3 about using ceramic board for the lid. Didn't realize until after a double check that my hoop handles are similar to his. Just wondering if they will be cool enough during use to lift with a gloved hand?
    Getting close enough that I may order the rest of the parts today. I didn't know that ceramic board was so $$$. We have no local source so shipping is half the cost. Time = money.
    Evil.jpg

9. Al2O3

I've bought from this seller several times. Reasonable shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/str/SIMOND-STORE

Here's the ceramic fiber board offering.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dmd=2&iconV2Request=true&_ssn=simondstorenc&store_cat=0&store_name=simondstore&_oac=1&_nkw=ceramic fiber board

There is a good selection of sizes in 2300F & 2600F. The 2600F board will be a little more dense. You could by a 1" board in whatever size gives you the number of thickness you want or buy at desired thickness. Here's a couple other seller with useful products.

https://www.ebay.com/str/hightempre...ore|folenttp:1&_trksid=p3542580.m47492.l74602

https://www.ebay.com/str/hightemper...als|folenttp:1&_trksid=p3542580.m47492.l74602

I had stainless steel handles in my IFB lid and they were cool enough for a gloved hand for sure, most of the time bare hand.

Lid on.jpg

Best,
    Kelly