Tropical greetings

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Wesoły, Nov 27, 2023.

1. Wesoły

Wesoły Copper

Salutations from Brazil!

I've been meaning to get into casting machine-frames and model engines (for model airplanes) for a long time now and been reading up on what I need to do going forwards to achieve it for a couple of years. I'm currently in the process of moving, but starting next year I plan on building a furnace for casting small iron (square surface plates, pans for the wife, smaller machine references) and aluminum (air-cooled model engines and vintage car parts mostly) pieces, but if it works out I'll likely get into bigger machine castings such as beds, axes, scraping reference surfaces (for v-ways, double v-ways and dovetails)... although that's far fetched as of yet, lol.

The region I live in is not known for the ready availability of equipment, so I'll have to dive into making most things myself and source what few things I can to get started, but thankfully for materials there are disk brakes wherever the sun shines. As for the equipment, I hope to get resources, help and advice from the fine gentle-ladies (and gentlemen too, ofc) here.

I have nothing to show, but I hope to change that soon :)

Regards,
    Wesoły.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Wesoly. Melting aluminum is easy and making hobby equipment to do so can be done with common materials. Copper based non-ferrous alloys are somewhat more difficult, but it's big step up in requirements for iron. I commented on your other post.

Best,
    Kelly