uploadng pictures and files...

Discussion in 'Forum suggestions' started by Barrybooth, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Barrybooth

Barrybooth Silver

Hey guys,
    I'm having a tough time trying to upload pictures and short videos to the site. I'm always getting the file error "file too large" and they're relatively small files. Am I missing something here, is there an upload tutorial? I searched and I couldn't find it, help! Many thanks in advance, Barry.

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

There may be fancier ways or simpler ways but this is how I do it. I take pictures with my phone and email them to myself. This allows me to reduce the image size to the smallest option when I'm emailing them which I think is good idea in general. I open the email on my iPad and save image. Then while I'm posting I click the Upload a File button, select gallery, select my pictures from there and press done. Once they've transferred you can choose to have them displayed as full size or thumbnail. I prefer to view other people's pics full size because then it's easier to zoom. Once they've appeared in the post (always at the top for some reason) I cut and paste them where I want them.
    I don't know how you feel about YouTube but the few videos I've made I've taken with my phone. I upload it to my YouTube channel and then cut and paste the link directly into the post.

I hope this helps.

Pete

Tobho Mott and Barrybooth like this.
  3. Barrybooth

Barrybooth Silver

Great information Pete, thank you so much for helping me from going insane! I'll try your method, hopefully I can make it work. Have a good day. Blue skies!...Barry

4. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I email them to myself as a large file then use the free Photoscape program to resize them to 640 x 800. Sending them as a large file preserves the quality and resizing them in Photoscape also preserves the quality.
    One thing that is not addressed in this thread ( https://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/posting-pictures.9/ ) is the file name limit. I think the file name cannot be more than 20 characters.

Barrybooth likes this.
  5. Barrybooth

Barrybooth Silver

Very helpful Fishbronz, thank you! I basically do that but keep getting the "file too large", strange. I can attach them, that works but it would be nice to add them with the text content.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

Barry, you might try backing down the quality on your camera to control the file size. We really don't need a 3gig uber high quality photo of stuff. I think I use 12MP setting on my phone. 4000x3000. Files sizes are reasonable that way.

7. Barrybooth

Barrybooth Silver

Jason, I think you hit it on the head! I've cut them down to a stinking couple seconds and they still won't load as an attachment ugh! I'll try it as soon as I can figure out how to do it Jason ha. Did I also tell you I suck at using a cell phone, damn I'm old school.

8. I put them on my computer then resize them to 480x640. Then use the Upload a File button to select the image on my hard drive. And select Full Image.

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

9. Barrybooth

Barrybooth Silver

Great info thank you, I'll give it a try! So many things to learn my head is spinning!

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Some phones... I have android. While viewing a thread on my phone, when I select upload a file, my phone gives me the option to use camera or go and find the photo. For larger posts, I email them off the phone to myself. No resize needed usually.

11. Barrybooth

Barrybooth Silver

That's exactly what I'm doing Jason and when I try to attach the file it gives me the same error "file to large" ugh. With your advise and other I'll get on top of this eventually, I hope, if I live long enough :)

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Go into your camera settings and back down the settings. Select a smaller and lower quality image. Look at the file size and back it down some more if you have to. You only need uber high quality images if you plan on printing them or blowing them up.

13. Barrybooth

Barrybooth Silver

OK Jason, will do! Many thanks for sicking with me, much appreciated for sure you trying to teach an old dog new tricks!

Jason likes this.
  14. OMM

OMM Silver

I use a iPhone for all pictures (or video). I have direct share with my iPad the picture gallery. From both devices, I just click "upload file", then I'm given three choices: take photo, Photo library or browse. I usually just use the photo library. I clicked on one two or three pictures then click done. I wait for the bar to charge up for the picture/s. Then amongst my text I place the cursor where I want the picture. Then I clicked full image. I usually don't not have to resize.

If I make a post from my laptop and I want to include pictures. I make the post and then go back using my iPhone and do an edit then place the pictures within the text and then click post reply

Tops likes this.
  15. Barrybooth

Barrybooth Silver

Hello Matt, very helpful info and very much appreciated. With all the great info I've gotten from you and others I should be able to find my way out of this quagmire I've found myself in. So many wonderful helpful people here on Home Foundry, its been a privilege getting to meet and know all of you! Thank you again Matt for the info and have a great 4th of July!

16. OMM

OMM Silver

we celebrate July 1. But for the same reasons. Enjoy your long weekend, and please stay safe.

17. Barrybooth

Barrybooth Silver

Thank you kind sir, you do the same! Now I can celibate yours on the 1st next year and double the fun!

18. Barrybooth

Barrybooth Silver

Thank you kind sir, you do the same! Now I can celibate Canada Day on the 1st next year and double the fun! You live in a beautiful country which I had the privilege to explore when I was in the Army stationed @ Fort Lewis Washington. One of the highlights of my life, such beautiful forests surrounded by crystal clear water...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  19. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I use a free app to resize and/or crop my photos before uploading. Usually I pick the smallest option, 25% of original, which takes them from around 4 megs down to a couple hundred K. So far, no complaints about them being too small.

Jeff

20. Barrybooth

Barrybooth Silver

Thank you Jeff, that app sounds good and worth trying. Could you please give me the name of the app? Kind regards...Barry.