Used Johnson furnace?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Clay, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Clay

Clay Copper

Local high school industrial arts closing. They have their furnace, heat treat ovens, lathes, flasks, etc up for auction.
    I have and appointment to look at, What should be my concerns?
    upload_2021-8-3_11-51-6.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Clay

Clay Copper

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Ohhh mama nice equipment!

As long as you get it cheap/reasonable price I don't see any real concerns. Looks like quality stuff that you can't buy anymore only make yourself. Even if kiln elements are broken or there are damages it should all be easily repairable or modifiable to get it back in working condition.

Keep in mind those insulated bricks in the kiln are like 3 to 6 bucks a piece. That crucible looks like an A10 or 12 which is like 100 to 150 bucks. Kiln is big and square which is very pricey new, muller is very useful if you are planning on sand casting. I'm not sure the reasonable price on that but I'd imagine 3 or 400 wouldn't be unreasonable for a fully functioning muller. Furnace probably another 300 or so. And see if you can snag all the lifting tongs and pouring shanks for the crucible and as many crucible as you can.

Clay likes this.
  4. Clay

Clay Copper

Thanks Zapins, Appreciate your advice almost to good to be true is what I thought, I was thinking I wanted it all but will watch the bidding evolution and get all I can.

Tobho Mott and Zapins like this.