Venting your burn out oven?

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by John Gaertner, Dec 26, 2021.

1. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

Hello Forum, well if you saw my post below about my electric burn out oven burning up its Ken-metal element today in 3 places, you will know/figure I have to replace the element now. I bought two at the time I ordered the damaged one. My question is how does everyone vent their electric burn out oven to get rid of the fire, fumes from the wax? With a hole in the bottom of the oven/fire brick? With a hole and cap on the top/lid? My lid has fire brick in it too. If you use an electric wax burn out oven, please share your knowledge. Thanks, Jgaertner

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Well here's how I do it. For one, I run ceramic shell and not much solid investment. But I dewax first in boiling water and then go into the kiln. I will usually put the kiln outside and leave the lid cracked open ever so slightly. If you allow too much air to go in, you will get flames. Ya want to smoke it out basically.

Same applies for solid investment castings. Put it in the kiln, leave it just cracked open until it quits smoking and the close the door and ramp up the temp. I'll try to go and find your picture now.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

So you are running ceramic shell. It is cracking on you during your "burnout"

4. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member