what type of investment material should I use

Discussion in 'Investment casting Block method' started by Bill W, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Bill W

Bill W Copper

I'm starting my second project. This time I want to duplicate a trunk lock bezel for my car. The part is hollow, which should be a big challenges. The part is 3 3/4 long, 1 1/2 inches wide on one end and 1/2 inches wide on the other end. It's very thin in some parts.

I made a very basic wax part and now want to get some investment material. Next, will be melting that wax out and pouring some metal.

what product should I use?

Thanks

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

For lost wax I like the Ransome and Randolph ultravest...
    For plastic use their plasticast..

The Desert Yeti likes this.
  3. Bill W

Bill W Copper

Thank you sir
    Here's a few photos of my part. The wax parts look pretty good coming out of the mold.

Edit. I see the ultravest can be used with bronze. I have a bunch of old plumbing fittings from the days when I owned boats. The ones I would melt down were never used on a boat so they don't have the typical green corrosion bronze gets. Can this type of bronze be used to cast parts?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  4. DavidF

They are most likely red brass and not bronze.
    You could use them, but would be better off getting some silicon bronze...

5. Bill W

Bill W Copper

The parts I have were expensive, which is why I saved them. The label said silicon bronze but I'll see how I can test them to be sure. Thanks for the warning.

6. DavidF

If you melt them and pour them, you can tell by the surface exposed to the atmosphere. Red brass will have a pretty rough and black surface where silicon bronze will only show a bit of black scaling.

7. Bill W

Bill W Copper

Thank you

DavidF likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

Got a tig welder Bill? Light up on it with a tig torch and see if it gets stupid at you. Sil bronze just puddles up nice and smooth with no drama.

9. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

When you melt them if smoke appears and little white wisps float around they are brass. The smoke is zinc oxide and is toxic so wear a respirator.

If it just liquifies to a pale gold color it is silicon bronze as suspected. Brass is a deeper yellow.

10. Bill W

Bill W Copper

I wish I had a tig welder. That's another skill set that would have come in handy when I had a boat. Thanks for the info on how the metal pools up.

11. Bill W

Bill W Copper

I'll be sure to use safety gear when I move to the next step. Thanks for those tips.

12. crazyjoe86

crazyjoe86 Lead

make your own investment..it's cheaper...haha

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Peedee likes this.
  14. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Even I wouldn't bother with home brew investment and I'm tighter than a mosquito's chuff. I tried a POP grog mix once and it was an epic fail.

If you are pouring huge blocks it may be worth the legwork otherwise, save the head-scratching for the casting itself.

Jason likes this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

lmao... "Mosquito's chuff"

16. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I may get banned... ;)

Seriously though, there is enough to deal with getting a good casting without the added problems. IMHO. Each to their own of course

17. Jason

Jason Gold

I tried pop and sand once. What a mess. That's when I decided my time was more valuable. Sometimes it's better to just pay the man!

18. Peedee

Peedee Silver

44lbs for less than £40. Has that stuff got a shelf life? I know the slurry for shell has but the powder should keep a while?

19. Jason

Jason Gold

Probably of some sort. But if ya keep it closed up tight, it should do a couple of years.

20. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

I've never had a problem with the pop/sand mix. Just have to do it right.