Where are you getting your Kegs?

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by cire Perdue, Aug 27, 2018.

1. cire Perdue

cire Perdue Copper

I would love an older keg but the distribution center near me has a lockdown on any selling of damaged kegs...

Where are you guys getting yours?

Hints, tips, tricks... Thanks!

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Craigslist.
    I got mine from a former bar owner who had it in his garage. I imagine most get liberated from their rightful owners without permission. Be careful though, some are aluminum.

Pete

3. _Jason

_Jason Silver

Breweries are kind of funny about turning over kegs. They cost significantly more than the $35 deposit - they just make you post a deposit in the hopes that you'll return it so they can empty/clean/reuse it.

With that said, I have two Miller Lite kegs squirreled away that I picked up off friends who were moving or clearing out junk. I'm told you can find them at junkyards some times as well. Further, you might watch Craigslist/Let Go!/OfferUp to see if there are any in your area. Somebody has one in a barn somewhere that's long since been forgotten about that they don't need. Just keep your eyes open and have cash available.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

$35 deposit? This problem fixes itself. Visit your local friendly alcohol provider, pick your favorite beer, grab a cheap tap. Call over your buddies, drink beer, cut keg up! Don't return it.

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Here is one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-5-Gallo...812639?hash=item363a44aa9f:g:8YEAAOSwM85bgvgm

This one is in early bidding, and the price may go up to perhaps $100.00, but the shipping is free.

Old/dented kegs are pretty readily available on fleabay. The home-beer-brew guys use them (that is a big hobby I have found out; there is a local store that sells that equipment, and they have tasting sessions where people bring their own how brew; I tried one guy's beer, and wow was that stuff potent; maybe 10-15% alcohol; regular beer has never been as good since then).

Kegs come in various sizes though, so you have to be sure to get the full sized keg.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Rtsquirrel likes this.
  6. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Mine was left over from a buddies collage party like 8 years ago....forgotten about and needing a new home.. :)

7. _Jason

_Jason Silver

No, that's a "keg." A barrel of beer is 31 gallons so a half-barrel is what you'd be looking for.

8. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Confusing terminology (to me).
    Thanks for the clarification; I thought it looked about the right size, but the various sizes can look similar.

Propane tanks confuse me too, since they are rated in pounds instead of gallons.
    A 20 lb propane tank has a capacity of about 5 gallons.

I use a 100 lb (formerly) propane tank as an oil tank, and it holds about 25 gallons.

9. _Jason

_Jason Silver

So, just as a point of information:

In the US, kegs come in several sizes:
    • 1/2 barrel 15.5 US Gallons (Commercial)
    • 1/4 barrel 7.75 US Gallons (Commercial)
    • 1/6 barrel 5.16 US Gallons (Commercial)
    • Cornileus ~5 US Gallons (Homebrewer use)
    Commercial kegs are sized as a derivative of a 31 gallon. I'm not sure how we arrived at a 31 gallon barrel as the official size for beer measurement but I'm told the decision involved a live chicken, some chanting, and maybe some odd symbology... ;)

10. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Probably the same guys who developed pipe standards

11. RickG

RickG Lead

Actually the ebay link PatJ posted above has a helpful picture of the relative sizes...

kegs.jpg

12. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

Know this is a "keg" thread, but...
    I see that cire Perdue is in Virginia. You may indeed only want a keg, but if youwant an old water heater to cut up for the exterior, I can help you out if you're near Richmond.
    Just let me know...