Compressor help

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Zapins, May 16, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Here.. I'm out putzing with wax tonight. This is my setup. The dryer IS the regulator
    15478729002581333392723345293169.jpg

15478729540492066708035434031725.jpg

15478729787789146901095949973245.jpg

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

What model is that gun? I see it says "truman's...." but can't read the rest.

What siphon tube setup do you have? And how does the tube enter the case for you? I put a 3 way quick connect splitter inside the case so I could connect a blower to clean off parts after sanding.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

model.. who know.. its old.. stamp on the back says 1191. good chance I've had this since nov1991. Here is a shot of the siphon tube. It's a tub inside a tube. keeps from sucking a dry hole. Bought this at Eastwood ages ago, it came from TIP sandblasting I think. Back when they sold american stuff and didnt sell overseas junk.

15478744885864608185048355767695.jpg

15478745158771504555522067883721.jpg

4. Jason

Jason Gold

look what I found.. is this the HF gun? thought I threw it out. Either way, it sucked.
    15478747986086068066752570224928.jpg

5. Jason

Jason Gold

6. Jason

Jason Gold

7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmm. I welded something similar to that pick up tube. I think it should work, but there isn't enough suction being generated at the gun. I think I'll replace the gun and then figure out the siphon tube issue if I still have it. I have a lot of steel tubing I can make other pickup tubes from if it ends up being a dud. Thanks. I'll report back on my blasting progress.

Having a proper blasting setup is going to shave days of grinding/sanding with flap wheels off my prep time. I hate sanding and buffing. I have about 30 sculptures stuck at the same phase. The post-welded, pre-polished phase. Waiting for the sand blaster.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Go for it.. I have no idea how you made it this far without one. Remember that guy in florida with the steampunk bronze stuff? (Captain chicken commander I think..) He got a bad case of carpal tunnel from removing shell and basically quit casting because of it!:eek: I think he had surgery and is back at it. btw, I run worn out glass bead from HF. Leaves a nice finish ready for final chasing. I blast after welding too, brings the color back. And if you dork your patina, blast it off and try again. It's a must have tool thats for sure.

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah definitely.

I wonder how well it will do at blasting shell off once properly set up?

I often find myself wanting a pneumatic hammer to remove the shell by vibrating the crap out of the piece. A high pressure washer works ok as well. But not in the winter!

10. Jason

Jason Gold

It will remove shell, but you don't want to. Takes FOREVER and the bigger chunks will just clog your gun. I knock 98% off with a hammer and chisel and then into the box it goes.

11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

12. Jason

Jason Gold

I didnt get that from that page. The way I understand that thing is it IS it's own A/C setup that dries air. Gotta be a reason that thing costs more than an outdoor condenser unit.:confused: Whatever it is, I'd leave it alone if I was zap. He doesnt need air that dry. :D

13. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Yep, I screwed up and then edited my post. Tired morning eyes (& too long working week) In any case I agree that's a commercial unit and way beyond what Zap needs. Will they even ship with it gassed?

14. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah... New ac units come to me pre charged with 134a.

15. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I guess it's no more than a fridge in essence so stupid question! I use a jar type water trap on my compressor, does it's job well enough for my needs. I concur with not bothering with the oiler, just look after your tools with a drip of oil.

16. My HF cabinet works just fine, and has a tube in tube pickup. You need to make sure you've got enough air at the gun before you buy another gun, Zap. I don't use a dryer either, just 40 feet of copper tubing and a filter separator. It does collect the water, and the copper helps cool the air to room temperature.

A cheapo HF needle scaler might be the trick for removing shell.

17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

It's a local craigslist kind of deal. No shipping involved.

My thoughts are I know it's way beyond my needs but if it works and the price isn't too far off what I'd pay for lester dryers then why not? I initially offered 150 for it, he said can I come up to 250. So there may be a bit of wiggle room? And for 180 to 200 it might not be a bad idea?

I know I might be able to get by with the $40 trap but this machine should 100% dry the air right? No future worries over maybe the air isn't dry enough?

I feel like I'm overthinking this because I don't know enough about blaster setups and haven't seen a properly configured functional setup in person so I have no frame of reference.

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Well I turned it down. I saw on the info about the machine that the minimum input psi is 162. My compressor max is 160 and is currently preset at 120 psi so I don't think it will work.

Now I need to figure out how to get my setup working.

I want to upgrade to 3/8" hose instead of 1/4" like I have now. And so I need a 3/8" air dryer. Jason the dryer you have has a 1/2" inlet but 1/4" outlet.

19. joe yard

joe yard Silver

For what is worth. With my compressor when I had a cheap in line trap. I did not “notice” water in the air but when I unhooked the inline separator while moving the air lines in preparation to move the compressor. I temporally hooked things up without the separator. It only took about a week of high humidity and a few fogy days before I was joking that I had air in my water.
    It will stay that way for another week or so. Then I will move the compressor and hook the water separator back up.
    When I bought the shop the air lines and separators were already installed. On one long line. On the far end was a second separator. I do not know why or if this helped but the man who originally built the shop and installed the lines was not one to do things without thoroughly thinking things through.
    There was and still is, just in need of repairs. A small portable D.I.Y sand blasting cabinet that he had put a water separator and regulator on. This cabinet was built to be portable so I don’t know if the sorter would have been needed with the shop air.
    Joe

20. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I played around with the blaster today. I managed to increase the flow to the cabinet to about 80 PSI constant flow. Better than 60 PSI like the other day.

I think the problem is the blasting gun. The harbor freight shit doesn't create a siphon no matter how it is adjusted, flushed, or held. There simply is no suction at all even when the siphon tube is disconnected. I've ordered another gun that had some high ratings on amazon. Hopefully it comes soon and works first time. I couldn't find the gun you have on amazon/ebay Jason. If this gun I ordered doesn't work I'll go to the site you linked and order it.

Interestingly, I was reading some forum or other about compressor tubing. They were saying that the max flow through 1/4" line is 13.5 CFM and you'll lose 15 psi over 50 feet of hose. But 3/8" line you can push through 30.5 CFM and lose only 2 psi over 50 feet. Since my compressor can push out about 16 CFM I'm definitely losing capacity with the 1/4" line. Maybe not enough to make a huge difference but I think I'll be upgrading for sure to 3/8" line at some point.

For now I'll focus on getting the gun to siphon properly. If that doesn't work then maybe I'll try other things.

Joe - seems like the air trap really makes a difference. I'll have to see how the one that came with mine does with a proper gun. I haven't noticed any condensate inside it so I don't know if it is working or not. Maybe I need to get desiccant beads?

This is what I have currently for a dryer. Not much info on what it is.
    20190119_215546.jpg 20190119_215637.jpg