Members video channels

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Jason, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Weren't you going to build a furnace that will melt an engine block? I wanna see you put that monster together.;)

2. master53yoda

master53yoda Silver

that is my next project I have the casing mostly put together but have had to put it on the back burner because of moving the foundry and myself this fall. I'm just now getting the foundry back up and running again, I'm doing a 150lb melt tomorrow and I'll try to remember to take some pictures of everything.

Art b

3. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I don't know if it's because I'm just used to the way it works with YT or not, but I'm not a fan of how vimeo vids are displayed

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Don't you have to PAY vimeo to host videos? I'm all for uploading HUGE files and letting YT store them for free. I'm not paying anyone to display my hard work.
    In return, I do not wish to be paid for it either.

5. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I'd love to get paid for my efforts uploaded to YT. They make money on the hits so why not get a piece of that pie if handed to you...? Better than forums that bury ads throughout popular threads you create that don't give you a penny.

A while back I started a machine restoration thread on a forum that got substantial hits relative to the viewership (~30k views). Back when it was started, it was no different than any thread website page that had ads along the side bars. After a forum update you now need to scroll through ads buried in the body of the thread. I think twice per page. Makes reading the thread annoying imo. Well the rebuild isn't finished, and I'll disclose my inner whiner and tell you that the forum's new found efforts in trying to make a penny on my efforts doesn't motivate me to update it. Ads are ads, and they need to pay for things, I get it. However when the ads get so overwhelming that using the site become annoying then you're not doing anyone, including yourself any good. /rant

I really want to buy myself a better camera for shooting diy vids. A couple of years ago I had hoped that income from YT would cover that. Reality set in shortly there after and I now know that that kind of thing doesn't happen for the less than obsessed YT channel holder. Still would be great though :)

6. Jason

Jason Gold

JV, takes a thousand subs and tons of views before you can collect your 1/2 a penny for a view and that's IF the viewer gets suckered into watching an AD. Not worth it, unless you are into click baiting viewers and subjecting them to dealing with ad-sense. Both of which I believe is BS practice. This separates those seeking idiot entertainment and those that probably show up to learn something useful. I have a friend that has a youtube channel with 13,000 subs and almost 4million views across his channel.. NOT MONETIZED! He does this for the very same reason I do.

7. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

My YT videos are not monetized either, but I don't have any problem with those who go that route - nothing wrong with trying to make a buck that I can see, if enough people are interested in watching. I always skip the ads ASAP though when possible. Still, even when it's not possible, it still seems like way less ads than watching old school TV, and at least none of the ads I get targeted with there are for tampons or personal injury lawyers...

If I ever somehow get the amount of subs where I could monetize, it won't come from begging for likes and subs, and right now I have no plans to monetize anyhow, mostly because I see so many people on youtube stressing out over getting that thousandth subscription, or losing some of their ad money because one of their videos offended the site's algorithm somehow. Going out of my way to make some piece of software happy would feel almost as dirty as slowing down so the cartoon-faced radar sign on the side of the road displays my speed in congratulatory green LED's and smiles at me instead of lighting up the numbers in shameful red and frowning (not sure if anyone else has seen signs like that or if maybe the one near my place is somehow unique, but I hate it so much and wish I could piss it off even more)... It'd have to be a lot of money up for grabs. I like to save my use of clickbaity titles for winding up eco-warriors who don't like the idea of people burning shit in barrels in their backyard anyhow, not tricking innocent people into watching my adventures if they wouldn't choose to do so otherwise.

Pat, are you changing channels again because youtube messed with your email account? I had personal emails to friends and family going out for a couple days addressed from Tobho Mott instead of my real name right after I started my channel. Once I became aware, the solution was to change some nearly impossible to find youtube settings to turn off google plus (which YT was nice enough to register me for without asking first when I created my channel). I might have also had to tell YT to turn off all email. It took me a while to figure out, but it worked. So if that is the problem, rest assured, it can be fixed, it just requires a feat of internet legerdemain and a degree of intrepidity.

8. Even the popular Youtube users prefer Patreon for their income, like AvE or Jimmy Diresta. It seems like a much more direct way for people to contribute to the cost of materials used.

9. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Jason...

To each their own I suppose. I don't see the harm in monetising content. Easy enough to close the ad. If it helps put a tool in a guy's shop so he can produce another interesting vid, then I'm all for it.

Props to those just posting without ads I guess.

10. Here is my youtube channel that shows off some of my metal casting. I also have a lot of camping/hiking/homebrewing beer and a bit of CNC/3D printing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl5ZjSc2Xi1iTFtY73LnRgw

Enjoy and don't hesitate to tell me if I am doing something wrong or if you see ways to improve my metal casting skills or anything else for that mater.

Thanks

11. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hey Digi, I remember you had some Scouting-related casting projects & videos that you'd posted over on AA a while back, welcome to the new forum!

Ooooh, I see you have a nice long new casting video just gone up on your channel too, I'll check that out later when I get home from work.

Jeff

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome Aboard Digi.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Not my channel, but I'll post this on behalf of Barry. Someone please give this man a sub and get him over the 100mark.
    He totally deserves way more traffic, he is one of the giants in the lost wax bronze world.
    Thanks!
    Jason

14. 01binary

01binary Copper

15. FredsShed

FredsShed Lead

16. FredsShed

FredsShed Lead

17. Funkster

Funkster Silver

18. PatJ

PatJ Silver