Members video channels

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Jason, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

I had a look at presstubes Shredding and melting 1000 coca cola cans video stats, when it shoots up my video goes up and when it goes down my video goes down. The graph also shows that at the beginning of October his views for this video have dropped a large amount. It seems that my channel may not be the only one that has dropped a lot since the beginning of October. If you want to find video stats for other channel videos click onto the more button then click stats button and then click daily button.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

I know I won't waste my time watching his trash content.;) But I will drop what I'm doing to watch your stuff! ;)

Mark's castings likes this.
  3. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

Yeah I would not bother watching it but thank for watching my videos. Interesting fact for you I had only 65 subs in the first 12 months I was on youtube.

4. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

5. Jason

Jason Gold

6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Ditto.

7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Whats the name of that old thread we had with youtube fails? I can't seem to find it and I found a good one.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

9. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Thank you for another quality video. I have not cast in up on 20 years when I built a small foundry for needed parts. Although I have been side tracked. I am now retired and have planted the seeds of a new foundry far beyond the original capabilities. The bad thing is my mental abilities have not advanced in this time and technology has. I cast in green sand that I got from customers commercial foundry. This eliminated the problems of home made green sand. It also eliminated the valuable learning curve that goes along with making your own. I think when I do start casting again in late spring or early summer it will be mostly in copper alloys using lost foam and green sand with hopes of one day lost wax. I will rely on what I have learned here on AA along with the advice of the very experienced armature experts. An armature expert is someone who consistently gets expert results but is not paid for it.
    Joe

10. Jason

Jason Gold

"Amateur" But we got the point. Joe if you want to run lost wax, just go for it. I dinked around with some foam in the beginning and wasted nothing but time hoping I would make the leap to wax. I should have done it earlier. Get a block of wax and start working it. Cut it up, melt it down, pour yourself some sheets. Just pull up a chair, light the alcohol lamp and grab some tools. Zap was the push I needed in the beginning. After figuring out how to get my fingers on suspendaslurry, it's been easy street. I've been building the support gear slowly, but that stuff is more for convenience. I find the process of sculpting directly in wax relaxing and I've said this before, you have to make peace with wax and that happens by practice. It can be the most frustrating material, but one day, something clicks and you get it. Plaster of paris will become your friend and works very well with wax for cheap molds. My point with this is if you want to run lost wax, DO IT! If you need someone to send you a block of wax to get you rolling, say the word. Even though you are retired now, your time is valuable and you only get so many days. "one day down the road...." does not exist in my world. Get to it!

11. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Thanks for the encouragement Jason
    as I have mentioned it has been a lot of years since my last casting session. Back then I cut my teeth on aluminum. I had only started on bronze and brass. We did not have the internet as it is known know with all the experience helping people. Even so I had gotten to where I seldom had a failure and with the few bronze castings although I scratch my head. All were at least salvageable. I blame it on lack of knowledge lots of failures with aluminum ridiculously tall raisers , large runners at an angle going well past the mold to help with lose sand, always feeding from several points when feeding from the bottom and excessive waist. Now I see how it is done right and only wish I had that advice available then.
    With luck a couple of more weeks to a months depending on funds and I will be done in the shop. You can never do too much to improve a shop. Weather permitting I have 4 sheds needing attention that might take a couple of months at the longest. They need the following attention, 1 will be the compressor room and phase converter room. I now have 1, 5 hp compressor in the shop along with the phase converter that drives me nuts when they kick on. A second compressor of a different model but its brother in that is the same size and design as the first in storage. I plan on moving all into the storage shed and plumbing the compressors together. It is not a big job and although the shed is only 10 foot from the shop. It is high on the to do list and will take some time and resources. Then comes shed 2, the dreaded one. All it needs is cleaning. Although I walk into not through the valley of death. Hell yes I fear the evil that lies within. Just look in there. Any dang fool would be afraid! No. 3 Not a problem, 1 yard of concept for the floor. I have moved and rebuilt this one so it has all the forum work finished and is ready to pour. I just have to do it. A bit of new whirring would not hurt either. No.4 I just bought and moved from the neighbor. I have to pour the pads to set it. I plan on doing this when I pour the floor for No.3 place it and wire it. All and all it sounds like a lot but it is not near what it would appear. I have prepared and collected materials for years so I think early 2019 is my year.
    Then the foundry! I have started on many aspects of collecting and building but as with the sheds it is not assembled yet. It will be another building that will assure my divorce. My wife is already giving me the cold shoulder for spending the last few available nights in the shop on a press. It will be modular. I can only describe the current design being very kind as. Down home ingenuity. I have just started on the roof . Although the exact final foot print has not yet been determined. The roof is being built from a 10 foot fiberglass satellite dish divided in the middle and separated with spreaders. It will be a 10 foot oval. Not only will there be the smell of a home foundry in this small rule town. I can get a distant smell of hot tar and feathers.
    After that I can start to work on casting. Starting with green sand. I would like to think possibly lost wax would be next. Retirement has been fun but it is working me to death. Things are starting to come together. I get by with a little help from my friends.
    Joe

Jason likes this.
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

Sounds a lot like Barry Lukes place in Baton rouge. His place started with 2 shipping containers. They became the wax room, slurry room and storage space. Placed opposite of each other, he spanned them with a curved roof. Later he closed the front and back with sliding doors. Ingenuity not money gets us kinda guys to the finish line.

13. joe yard

joe yard Silver

If you have any pictures. I would sure like to see them. I had not considered that. The one shed of doom has not been dedicated yet and that would help with the effect I a surely facing when I put up just 1 more building.

Joe

14. Jason

Jason Gold

15. joe yard

joe yard Silver

That sight is neat. His is more than I could ever dream. You have set me to thinking. This is not always the best thing to happen but in this case what I had envisioned and what he had built were quite a bit different. Never the less the thought of the 2 shipping containers separated with a Quonset style roof sounded a lot like my thoughts of the dish with a spreader and a tin roof in-between. Now I am thinking it would be interesting to bolt ½ of the dish to each end of the eternal junk shed when cleaned. This shed is very old possibly dating back to 1920s or before. It was built of native timber and has had several external coatings of wood outside coatings and modifications making it vert thick waled. The dimension area is 10 X 10 so the dish halves would fit nicely. It has power, a cement floor and an easily buried 1 inch gas line I installed when I bought the place running just 9 foot to its side buried 1 foot deep. This would give a very rough looking shed a different lets say unique look. I will post latitude and longitude on a later post. To help explain the big city of Lincoln Indiana. A town I can proudly say I fully owned ½ of the down town at one time. When I post the latitude and longitude. it will be quickly explained. I owned one house on each side of the intersection in the center of town. The main street is called Walnut and the other has no official name. Mostly because there are no lots facing it there fore no houses or adders. We just call it center street for lack of something better. Many thanks for the offer of the wax. I am an old horse trader and when the time comes. I am sure we can make a deal.

Joe

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  16. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Ok I am back . A sleep deprived insomniac. The shop is at 40. 36, 53.32 N - 86,12.32.17 W
    The compressor room. is obstructed by trees in the latest Goggle earth view at just behind the shop and will be in the shed at 40.36, 54 N -86,12 31.42 W The storage building of eternal junk. 40.36.53.20 N86.12. 31 .33 W
    A 2 story shed at 52.93 N 30.78 W
    Main house at 52.52 N 31. 61 W
    and the shed I bought from the neighbor is in this picture at 40.36.52.07 N86.12.34.33 W. We had a storm move through before this picture and you can see the damage to my shop roof along with several of the neighbors.
    It has since moved along side the 2 story shed but will be moved to the south rear property line.
    I own back to the east tree line where there is a small creek. Unfortunately the land falls off and the creek floods making much beyond 20 or so foot beyond the sheds to the east use for recreation only during the dry months. The building in question would be the shed of eternal junk. Stacked to the ceiling located at .20 N 33W
    After seeing Jason’s post . It has made rethinking a new building and just modifying this one. It would cut the time line considerable not to mention keep it within the laws of nature. The part about taking the easiest path, laws of conservation. Newton’s 4th law and all that. Translation. I don’t like to do any more than necessary.
    As can be seen from the pictures we are very rural with a large pig farm and a fertilizer plant just to the north of town. The town is only 1 street wide and the wind usually blows away from any of the other houses along with the fact fully ½ of the town population is related. This is hog heaven for this type of activity. A place where every one knows your name and wont say a word especially to law and revenuers! Seriously The neighbor with the nice shop across the street just to the north has a sign that reads. If you can read this. You are in range. After all the state motto is... There is more than corn in Indiana! We have soy beans and pigs too!

Joe

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Sounds like a place where you'd be better off running shine instead of melting metal!:D

18. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

19. Here's mine: https://www.youtube.com/user/mrhomescientist

I made it focused on chemistry so that's the vast majority of the content, but lately I've been branching out into other hobbies. There's a couple videos on metalcasting and one or two on gold panning. Once my new furnace is finished, I'll be making a couple videos about that for sure.

I saw some discussion about monetization earlier in the thread, and wanted to weigh in with a few random thoughts. I didn't monetize mine for many years, because I didn't think it'd be worth it. But I talked to one of the other chemistry YouTubers and he was doing pretty good with it, so I signed on. At the time they were only doing banner ads so it wasn't so obtrusive. I'm not a fan of where it's gone since then, with multiple full screen unskippable ads before everything, but there isn't much I can do about it unfortunately.
    A lot of the YouTube game is completely based on luck. Getting that critical mass of subscribers in the first place is pretty much a game of chance with their algorithm. I got lucky because my first subscriber was already a popular channel, and it snowballed from there. I don't post very often because all of this is a hobby and I do it when I feel like it. If I made a once a week schedule or something, I'd feel like I "have" to get something out and I wouldn't enjoy the hobby as much. I also think video quality would suffer. I've seen that happen so many times - channels that used to post really great content have fallen to product reviews or lowest common denominator content in the race to get something posted every other day. I do this stuff because I enjoy it; it's not a second job. The trickle of ad revenue is a nice surprise every 2-3 months, but nothing to write home about. I know I could probably triple that income if I posted regularly, but that's not why I do any of this. Keep it fun, post what you want when you want, and don't worry about subs, likes, ads, or anything else. If one person sees your video and enjoys it or learns something from it, then it was worth it.

Oh also, don't watch my most popular video, the Very Simple Aluminum Furnace. I regret how popular it got, because it's riddled with mistakes and awful safety. I would not be surprised if it found its way to the "YouTube Winners" thread. :rolleyes:

20. Jason

Jason Gold

YouTube can piss up a rope. I'm waiting for the right time to bail off that shitty platform. I'm slowly setting up on bitchute.