New man cave!!!!

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Jan 26, 2018.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

The inspection is just looking at the footings. And paying for the permit. Lol

Ok so it is just 2 amish guys building this thing working 8 hours a day. Here is what they accomplished by noon this morning.
    20181219_123153.jpg

Brian likes this.
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

At the rate it's going up they must be modern Amish....meaning power equipment is involved. Either way, great progress considering the materials weren't even on premises until Monday morning.

Best,
    Kelly

3. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

I'm just trying to work out how the cat got up on the header? (left hand front corner) :p:eek:

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

What's up with those 45 degree planks? The beers for the end of the project!

*edit*
    Oh wow the thing has a skeleton already. Surprised to see that so quick. Looking good. Do they just put down a foot or two of gravel then build ontop of gravel?

I suppose the Amish can definitely raise barns quick!

5. DavidF

Yea, they leveled the ground with 2' of stone dust then bored through it for the footings.
    I have to do the landscaping for erosion control.
    Looking into geogrid fir that.

That's a battery operated chain saw your looking at. Seriously did look like it was a cat though.

They are using cordless power tools, but do not drive. They also have a wind up phone in a wooden box. Maybe a military type phone? Or could be just some sort of 2 way radio. Not sure.

6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That is unreal.
    You got Amish.
    So not only will it be highly functional, it will be really cool too !

Very impressive work.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

..........And built really well! We had the FLDS folks just south of us here in Texas.. If you didn't mind their penchant for 13yr girls, they were excellent craftsman. I never hired them to do any work.
    yes, I'm talking about WARREN JEFFS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Jeffs I admire the Amish, wish they were in my neck of the woods.

8. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

They know how to do this type of work and they don't goof around. But just like anyone else, they're not all master craftsmen. Not being required to have insurance or pay comp certainly allows them to get it done cheap. Don't be surprised to see a 12 year old on the roof!
    Different sects have different rules governing what "modern" devices they can use or when they can use them.

9. Petee716

An Amish man took his family to the big city. As he's standing in a huge corridor he saw a strange shiney panel in the wall open up. An old lady with a cane tottered through the hole in the wall and the panel closed. He was puzzled. A minute later the panel opened back up and a beautiful young woman walked out. He looked down at his son and said, " Hiram, go get your mother."

Jason likes this.
  10. DavidF

Got home at 7 an this morning and they were back at it setting the trusses for the front porch.
    When I got back up my wife told me they left early because of the rain. I know they will not be working over Christmas so things might be at a standstill for the next week.

20181220_135126.jpg

11. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That's a nice piece of work.

12. DavidF

If they had put the roof on today I would probably be standing out under it right now watching the rain.... lol

13. Jason

Jason Gold

That's some fast work for 2 dudes and a horse.

14. DavidF

They were back today for about 5 hours. Cleaned up and left early for the holidays.
    You can really see it taking shape now. Hopefully they will get it finished up Thursday and Friday, then I'll be waiting on the concrete.
    20181224_135022.jpg
    20181225_122036.jpg 20181224_134540.jpg 20181224_135022.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Brian likes this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

Wow they're fast. See if they weld stainless steel for me please.

16. DavidF

Probably could if they had enough batteries..

17. Petee716

How did they lift the trusses?

18. DavidF

They had a long pole mounted to a skid steer and would hook the trusses and lift them up into place.

19. DavidF

All the walls are done, and the roof is going on.
    They might be finished up today :cool:
    20181227_105054.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  20. DavidF

Spoke with them before I left and they said that they would be working late today to finish it. :D
    20181227_122637.jpg 20181227_125150.jpg 20181227_133241.jpg