New Member Introduction

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by OCD, Oct 7, 2017.

1. OCD

OCD Silver

I see we have a new member.

Welcome to the forum Rasper.

And all others to date.

2. OCD

OCD Silver

Nobody loves us. :(

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  3. I would like to introduce myself as a new member.
    I've been following David's YouTubes and I'm an avid hobby caster...
    Retired now but fell down this rabbit hole as well as 3-d printing which seems to lend itself to this "sport" quite nicely.
    Being new at this I have many questions I would like to ask the seasoned pros. Some dumb but trying to avoid some of the stupid stuff I'm seeing on YouTube...
    I'm very happy to be part of this forum. It seems there's no better time in history than now to just go out and make stuff with all the information proliferation on the web.
    Greetings Dave A.

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hi Dave, Welcome aboard!!
    I have to agree, 3d printing and metal casting go hand in hand in alot of different ways...

5. Thanks for your YouTube content...although my wife might not agree with me lol.

6. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Welcome David, I hope you have plenty to share as I am embarking on the 3d printing and casting path as well.

7. I dabble in hand shaping and forming aluminum. I fabricate aluminum tanks and body parts for mostly older classic British and Italian race bikes.
    Anybody want advise just let me know...

8. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome David. I'm sure you'll find casting to be a great addition to your capabilities as a builder. Can you tell us a little about where you are in regards to hobby casting as far as how you are equipped and maybe some examples of your work?

Best,
    Kelly

9. OCD

OCD Silver

Welcome to the Zoo David.

YT is more for entertainment than anything else, IMO.
    Everybody wanting to be part of the circus.

Although there are a few serious and knowledgeable videos and individuals on there.

Just pay NO attention to the King of Clowns and his like minded followers.

And if your wife is giving you strange looks now, just wait till you get seriously set up and start casting.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome aboard David. Good stuff here and good people willing to lend a hand. There are no dumb questions, we were all new at one time. Our folks here run the entire experience spectrum. 3d printing is an exciting new venture for the home gamer and opens up many doors. You're right, this is a good time in history to take part in pouring hot metal. So whatcha got? Got a furnace yet?

11. IMG_0832.JPG Thanks guys. I'm getting the warm fuzzies...
    A couple other things that bear mentioning, I got into 3-d printing about 4 months ago and fell hard...as in hooked deeply. It made me sharpen my cad skills and woke up some brain cells I haven't used in awhile.
    My first casting project turned out perfect. I saw some YT experts sand casting and teaching how to cast a match plate.
    I thought "why not build the match plate?"
    Rabbit hole...I have a 20"x20"x 20" printer. I just (3day print) printed one with the flange the size of my cope...(plus 2%).
    Worked perfectly and was super easy.
    It looks as though I can only load one pic per reply but the second photo has the illustrated hollow underside which necessitates the match plate.

12. Al2O3

You can load up to 10 photos <=500kb each per post. If you select more than one photo more than one will upload. You then need to choose whether you insert them full size or as a thumbnail. If you want the photos displayed at different locations in the thread you need to move the cursor to that location then select full image or thumbnail there.

Best,
    Kelly

13. I bought a huge kiln with 3 zones, converted it to PID ramp soak controls.
    3 separate SSRs.
    I built my own stainless panel with my plasma CNC and my sheet metal tools. Looks factory, or as my welder stated "legit"...
    Also fabbed up a picker to get the hot flasks in and out safely.
    Once again having trouble with the photo upload...
    If anyone knows why I'm getting an error I'll go in and send more pics...

14. I had the choice of thumb or full size photo in the first upload but after choosing full on the first one I no longer have the option available...
    I poked around but don't see a way to refresh the options.

15. Sorry still fiddling with pics...

16. Al2O3

You need to upload photos first then insert them. When in the editor, you should be able to see small icons of each photo you have successfully uploaded. You can then select to insert them all either full image or thumbnail or select and insert them in your text one at a time. After you have done that you need to post to the thread. If you have started a new thread you select "create" or if you are editing, save your changes.

Best,
    Kelly

17. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

David, I'm anxious for you to figure out the picture posting thing. Hey! Someone zip over to his place and show him:)
    Kelly has summed up the process pretty well. Just don't mess with the folder icon above the picture icons; things get weird fast.

18. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome, David!

I've caught myself watching more and more 3D printer reviews lately. It's impossible to ignore how useful they would be for making patterns, whether you're into sand casting or lost PLA or what have you. Especially if you do not have a lot of experience or skill working with wood or whatever other patternmaking materials may be readily available. Seems like there might actually finally be some lower priced printers out there now that might even work reasonably well and be not too too overwhelming for complete 3D newbies to get into... I'm not ready to pull the trigger on one quite yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll get there eventually...

I've had minor troubles like that with pictures here too on one or two occasions; try to get to a place where you can 'preview' your post. Assuming they are small enough files to upload at all, the missing pics still might not show up in the preview, but you might be able to see them appear in the window below the preview, where you can continue typing your post into. Or else have better luck uploading and adding them then. They may be appearing at the very top or bottom of your posts, where you'd have to scroll up or down to see it. Once you're there, you can cut/paste them to the part of your post you actually want them to appear in. that's how I've managed to work around it. Not sure if there's an easier way.

I've also had trouble seeing thumbnail pix when posting at work, something to do with security settings on the network here I guess...

Jeff

19. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

I just posted some pics. I highlighted three pictures in my folder, dragged and dropped them into the post I started. and the middle one didn't transfer.
    Qwirky.

20. Jason

Jason Gold