Carb Velocity Stack Adapter

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Al2O3, Dec 13, 2021.

1. BattyZ

BattyZ Silver Banner Member

That gating though...........noice!

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Now it just has to work! The filter base is a bit of a departure from how I cast the other ones........with lots of contact area.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/automotive-intake-manifold-–-boss-302-independent-runner.1692/page-5#post-41582

In this case, I'm only casting the base, with no lid, and degating would be more of a chore with the previous method. Here, degating and clean up should be easier......if it produces a successful cast.

The pair of adapters should pose no problem.

Best,
    Kelly

3. BattyZ

BattyZ Silver Banner Member

This is the balance I have fought with since forever. Great cast, ruined in de-gating...great de-gating, the cast didn't fill out. If only we all had million-dollar CFD software built for mold fill out. Actually, this would have its own pitfalls even.

Excited to see the pour on this one! Assuming all the styrofoam was cut via hot wire?

4. Al2O3

On the white EPS gating yes. Some fence and bearing guided router bit edge profiling too.

Best,
    Kelly

5. Al2O3

I poured the stack adapters today.

Here they are coated and ready for the sand:

17 Stack Adapter Dipped.JPG

As it came out of the sand

18 Stack Adapter As Cast.JPG

Degated and cleaned up

19 Stack Adapter.JPG 20 Stack Adapter.JPG 21 Stack Adapter Logo.JPG

The engraving didn't come through very well.

22 Stack Adapter Engraving.JPG

Since the two patterns were assembled back to back, I couldn't get at that area but it may have cast through ok if I could have worked the coating with a soft brush.......next time. I haven't dip coated anything in a long time and my slurry needed mixing. It still needs some further tuning as it's too viscous and producing surface bubbles. I'll have to thin it a bit.

Years ago I made this mock up out of modeling board. They will be machined as shown.

23 Stack Adapter Mock Up.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

Rocketman, DaveZ and BattyZ like this.
  6. Al2O3

Haven't machined the filter base yet.

Attached Files:

Tobho Mott, Rocketman and boroko like this.
  7. bill

bill Silver

Maybe so but i can read it. LOL What an awesome web site for anyone who loves the look, sound and performance of an inline intake. Oh ya the work is simply incredible.

Al2O3 likes this.
  8. Al2O3

Thanks Bill. I think I could get the engraving to come through if I worked the coating in with a soft brush and redipped, but the way I gated the pair back to back, I couldn't get at it.

Best,
    Kelly