Custom Automotive Timing Cover

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Al2O3, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I’m coming down the stretch on my induction system project. This is a timing cover to be used with the project described here:

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/automotive-intake-manifold-–-boss-302-independent-runner.1692/

Because the intake manifold runners cover the distributor on the engine block, back in the day (late 1960s), for a small number of experimental and racing intake manifolds, Ford engineers made timing covers that relocated the distributor about 4” forward of the stock location. A camshaft extension was then incorporated to drive the relocated distributor.

So with that, I started reverse engineering all the interface dimensions and began the modeling and CAM programming. I must say, there’s a lot more to this part than initially meets the eye because it interfaces with just about every working system of the engine. It touches the crank/reciprocating assembly via the oil seal, the valve train via housing the timing chain and camshaft drive sprocket, cam/distributor gear interface, the mechanical fuel pump via the eccentric mounted on the camshaft/timing sprocket, and of course the cooling system via the mounted water pump. That made for a lot of engine interface dimensions and a boat load of features on the part that needed to be accurately located.

The part is about 4” deep. The stock timing covers were just under 2” deep which was rather convenient since I only have 2” thick foam board and the features were such that it needed to be split anyway in order to be able to machine all the features on a 3-axis machine. So the two major pieces were the upper and lower sections, both of which had front and backside machining.

The lower section had the most features. It was almost all 2.5D machining except for the webbed area around the crank seal which was 3D.

2 Lower Section.JPG 3 owerSection Front.JPG 4 Lower Section Back.JPG

The upper section was all 2.5D machining.

5 Upper Section.JPG 6 Upper Section Front.JPG 7 Upper Section Back.JPG

I glued the upper and lower sections together.

8 Glue.JPG

The feature count was really getting up there so I decided to separately make and hand place a few of the bosses and the distributor mounting features because they were in off-planes and it just wasn’t worth all the additional programming and machine time. With all the programming, I already had all the geometry available to cut the interface surfaces on the distributor mounting features which was a big time saver and greatly aided in accurate positioning of these features.

9 Piece Parts (2).JPG 10 Distributor Boss.JPG 11 Hand Placed Pieces.JPG

I was able to cut most of the oil pan seal undercut with a lead in/out move but had to cut the blind hole for the oil pan seal gasket tang in the corner with a razor knife.

12 Oil Pan Seal Gland.jpg

With a little detailing, I was happy with how this pattern turned out.

13 Finished Pattern.JPG 14 Finished Pattern.JPG 15 Finished Pattern.JPG

Since I had all the geometry for the part I used it to make the gating, attaching everywhere there was a solid boss on the pattern, since they were the thicker areas to feed the part.

16 Gating.JPG

I attached it along with a couple chunks of MDF for handling and using the screws as feet for drying.

17 Gating Attached.JPG 18 Dipped.JPG

I’ll attach the rest of the gating and sprue when the coating dries and am molding the part.

Best,
    Kelly

DaveZ and Tobho Mott like this.
  2. I would not be surprised in the slightest when one day Kelly posts photos of some double overhead cam cylinder heads he whipped up on a quiet Sunday afternoon.

DavidF likes this.
  3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

This is a pretty complex part...I know Kelly can pull it off, but will he get it on the first go??
    Place your bets folks :D
    Should I start a poll ??? Lol...

4. Al2O3

......this is never going to work.....:)

Best,
    Kelly

Tobho Mott and DavidF like this.
  5. DaveZ

DaveZ Copper

Once again. Awesome work !!!

6. Al2O3

Ready to go. Sub zero F lows. Hoping for a little better weather this weekend. The part is just a little too big to fit my 5gal size flasks and will need to go in the 30gal. That’s a PITA when the pavement isn’t dry because I cant demold by dumping on the ground. Same thing with the quench tank. A 5 gal bucket wont due so I need to use the pickle crock….another PITA.

19 Coated Dry.JPG 20 Coated Dry.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

7. Al2O3

Well it was 0F this morning but no wind. I saw clean bare pavement on my driveway and got after it.

Charged the crucible, loaded it into the furnace (inside my shop), and flipped the switch. Then commenced to packing the mold and staging the pour.

21 Mold Packed.JPG

About 45 minutes later the deed was done.

22 Aftermath.JPG

....and foam became metal. Here’s how it came out of the sand.

23 Raw Casting.JPG

…..and then degated and light media blast.

24 Degated.JPG

It came out realllllly nice!

25 Castng.JPG 26 Casting.JPG 27 Casting.JPG 28 Casting.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

8. rocco

rocco Silver

I've run out of adjectives so, just WOW!

9. Johnny

Johnny Copper

Kelly, I'm a big fan. Great work.

10. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Amazing as always!

Jeff

11. Al2O3

Don't know if anyone noticed it on the raw casting photo but I've been burying the patterns deeper and using a longer sprue when possible. This part was 28" from the top of the cup to the bottom of the pattern and the pattern itself about 12" tall. I had done so on previous parts a ways back to get more head pressure to help fill thin walls but one of the things I noticed when using the longer sprue was I always had a very tranquil pour with no flame or black smoke in the cup.........just a cup full of shiny metal. Part of it is the pouring cup but the rest is achieving good head pressure early in the pour before the metal front gets to the pattern. I've also been using very low density foam in the sprue so that stuff evaporates very quickly and (near) simultaneously delivers metal to all the pattern gates. -Just a tidbit.

Here's the YouTube video on this project.

Best,
    Kelly

12. BattyZ

BattyZ Silver Banner Member

When people start off casting I feel like this is what they think of. Design, cut mold, and cast something that doesn't exist. They quickly run into the hundreds of hurdles you have had to jump all these years. Hats off to a complete tool chain with proven results!

13. Al2O3

I do enjoy casting but my motivation is usually making a functioning machine part, often engine parts. It's very satisfying when you have a need to just imagine it then make it. I do have interest in casting other metals and ornamental art work.........but all my artwork ends up looking like machine parts I happen to need.

Best,
    Kelly

14. BattyZ

BattyZ Silver Banner Member

There is nothing wrong with this!

rocco likes this.
  15. PROSTOCKTOM

PROSTOCKTOM Copper

I am curious how you get all the detail in your patterns and how you deal with the shrink aspect when pull a pattern off an existing part?

Tom

16. Al2O3

The answer to the shrink is disappointingly simple. When the CAD/CAM model is complete, it's one stroke of the scaling key after selecting the entire model then increasing it's size by 1.3%. If it is a manual process, I just increase the dimension by same (multiply by 1.013).

For the details, it depends but on a part like this that has so many interface dimensions with the engine components, I start with them. Prints for some of that information are either available or known to me from past projects and I have to do layout work and measurement to reverse engineer the rest. These would be bolt hole locations, cam and crank center line location, etc, then place bosses around these locations and connect the dots. For something like the outline shape of the water pump mount, I photocopied a gasket, imported and scaled it to the bolt hole locations that were known to me, and then used that geometry to generate tool paths for those profiles. This is done at the different tool path heights/depths as features require.

95% of that pattern was 2.5D machining cut with just two tools; a .25D x 2"CH spiral double flute end mill and a ball nose of the same dimension. The tool path can be offset in the program to cut .125 (1/2D) wider for the end mill and the ball nose does the finish and fillets at the bottom of the cuts.

The upper and lower section were the two major pieces. Both were machined front & back. Each of the 4 sides had a run time between 8 and 15 minutes. Foam can be cut at very high feed/speed rates.

Best,
    Kelly

PROSTOCKTOM likes this.
  17. PROSTOCKTOM

PROSTOCKTOM Copper

Thanks Kelly, what are you using for CAD software? I am guessing Fusion 360

Tom

18. Al2O3

I'm not quite there with Fusion on either the CAD or CAM front. I'm using CamBam. I also have a trial version of Mach 3 but every pattern I've actually cut thus far has been CB.

Best,
    Kelly

PROSTOCKTOM likes this.
  19. Wild Irish

Wild Irish Copper

That's great information! I've been struggling with trying to get my patterns the right size in all dimensions, and now I will know, without the trial and error process, how to size things properly.

20. Al2O3

Machined up the timing cover.

29 Machined.jpg

Here it is mounted on a tall deck block.

30 Machined on Block.jpg

The intake goes on a lower 8.2 deck block but I have this one handy for show and tell.

Best,
    Kelly