Hello from Vermont

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by SRHacksaw, Jun 2, 2022.

1. SRHacksaw

SRHacksaw Silver

Hello folks! I've been casting for a couple decades -- I started with Dave Gingery's books and built a Gingery lathe back in 2002. And many accessories for it as well back then.

Since then I built a new 9" x 12" lathe of my own design, and many other projects. I began casting iron nine years ago, and also did some lost foam aluminum and zinc alloy casting about 7 years ago. I still mainly sand cast with greensand, and lately mostly iron. But the latest advances in lost foam aluminum are really interesting, and this seems to be the right place to talk about that!

I'm interested in building engines -- mainly steam and hot air.

The Gingery lathe and patterns in 2002:

[​IMG]

Tobho Mott, Tops and Mark's castings like this.
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome SRHacksaw. Sounds like you're a practitioner with some great experience. You should fit right in here. Welcome.

Best,
    Kelly

3. SRHacksaw

SRHacksaw Silver

Kelly, I found this forum through one of your YouTube videos. Super impressed with the amazing castings you've done.

4. Al2O3

Thanks SR, lots of different casting displines practiced by members here. I'm sure you'll find the forum and members helpful. BTW, that looks like a nicely done Gingery. You'll have to show us you bigger lathe.

Best,
    Kelly

5. SRHacksaw

SRHacksaw Silver

Kelly thanks! I don't actually have a complete photo of my bigger lathe I guess because my shop space near the house is so tiny I can't back up enough from it to get a good side view! I have some partial views and lots of construction photos.

Kelly, I've done some searches and I can't find anything about the possibility of doing lost foam in iron. Is it impracticably hot? I have gone to the other extreme and managed it in zinc alloys which is pretty marginal -- around 750F. Pretty limited depth of part for thin stuff at least.

Larger lathe:

[​IMG]

6. Al2O3

No, in fact, iron is probably the most common alloy poured commercially using the LF method. The vast majority of commercial practice is in Asia. Because of the much higher heat, different coatings and mold media are used compared to non-ferrous casting and vaccum assist is the norm. The coating generally uses a higher refractory base material like Al2O3 or Zirconia to handle the heat, and higher coating permeability is preferred. Even so, the substantially higher heat more rapidly evaporates the foam so vacuum is used to more rapidly drive that vapor across the coating barrier. This is why I made all my flasks vacuum capable and made a vacuum cart.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/vacuum-forced-air-cart.810/

However, I almost never use it for aluminum, because it's just not needed and can cause as many problems as it solves, and I have so many aluminum projects I still want to take on, iron parts haven't made the priority list.....yet. It's a bit more involved of a discussion but the rest of the processes are esentially the same. How important vacuum is to home/hobby practice I can't say for sure, but I would say, it's likely just a matter of getting the right process combination that adequately evacuates the vapour. I've found more head pressure, (deeper molds longer sprues) makes for very tranquil pours in Aluminum, and since iron is so much more dense, that added pressure would likely be beneficial as well.

There was one member here that did a LF iron cast, no special coatings, no vacuum.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/cast-iron-lost-foam.615/

I borrowed a lot from what I observed in commercial practice. This was one of the most interesting videos. If you watch and listen closely, there are a lot of valuable process details.

I made reusable pouring cups out of moldable ceramic fiber for aluminum. For iron, I'd probably just mold/make them from sodium silicate or chemically bound sand and consider them as an expendable.

Yes, low temp alloys can be more of a challenge for LF. I've done lead several times. The lower temps cause the vapour to evolve more slowly, but like with Zinc, the higher densities provide some additional driving force via increased head pressure. Because the foam evaporates more slowly, the molds fill and molten metal front advances more slowly so they lose more of what little heat they have to the mold media. When demolded you tend to see a lot more liquid driven across the coating and sand lumps bound with decomposed polymer.

Best,
    Kelly

Tops likes this.
  7. SRHacksaw

SRHacksaw Silver

Thanks for all of the info, Kelly. I'm going to try it. One of the reasons I'm here.

I'm thinking a simple tube shaped pattern, maybe 1-1/2" dia and 1/4" wall.

btw I have a LOT of experience with XPS outside of casting. You mentioned trying various adhesives in your videos and some posts here. I was wondering if you had tried what I often use for laminating thin foam, Elmer's rubber cement? It makes a very thin film, you dry both pieces before joining in a couple of minutes, and it sands very well compared to just about any other adhesive on foam. Maybe you have and it didn't work out in the melt, so apologies if I'm repeating old news.

8. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

SR, ahoy and welcome aboard. Did you keep the Gingery patterns?

9. SRHacksaw

SRHacksaw Silver

Hi Tops, yes I still have them, except for the long bed pattern, which got crushed in a move. I actually have re-used patterns with modifications and/or additions for other things. I did at the time reuse a number of them to build a milling attachment and boring table for it.

ps, is that a sounding lead in your avatar?

Tops likes this.
  10. Al2O3

Haven't tried Elmers rubber cement. Most of the foam safe contact cements are latex. Still don't think they machine or sand well. Still prone to loading cutters and due to the hardness difference, dont blend well at the joint with abrasives. I have some FoamTac brand, just havent tried it.

The other problem laminating foam, unless it's the smooth exterior surface of the face, as opposed to a machined and sanded surface, the cellular nature of the foam always makes the joint thicker than you'd prefer. I was thinking CA glues might be an alternative because they chemically cure. Havent tried that either. Dont know how well they'd burn out and think I'd give that vapour plume with due caution.

Best,
    Kelly

11. SRHacksaw

SRHacksaw Silver

Kelly, rubber cement is XPS foam safe. I don't like Foamtac at all. I've actually had it attack polysytrene foam core. UHU POR is much better, but difficult to obtain in the states. All the above are contact adhesives and not latex based. Rubber cement will give you the finest glueline, and easiest sanding by far. It is not quite as strong as the others, but for most purposes with qood surface area is fine.

12. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Yes it is. It's about 8 x 1.125 x 1.5" and 5 pounds. Wooden mold cut on a CNC router. 2 made so far, metal piece used for the tallow well on the second as the lead is hard on any wooden dimples in the mold. It gets poured standing on end with a blotter paper gasket. I was hoping to get one or two more from the mold but as you can see I have yet to splice a rope on the first and I am running out of SCUBA weights to feed it... :)
    Ps:
    Tops_sounder1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  13. SRHacksaw

SRHacksaw Silver

That's very nice Tops, a classical shape, and you've even got the tallow recess. Must be fun to use!

Tops likes this.
  14. Al2O3

Rubber cement is a generalism. What is the cement and what is the solvent it is suspended in for the composition your referring to?

The most common glues referred to as "rubber cements" are indeed latex suspended in volatile solvents that fairly aggressively attack/reduce polystyrene though other elastomers are also common. I've tried a number of adhesives referred to as rubber cements and contact cements, including those specially formaulated for foam like 3M 77 and although they will certainly stick foam together, in my opinion they all are very poor performers for my purposes........they load cutters ruining cnc patterns in the coarse of cutting and will instantly load and foul a sanding belt/drum and wont abraid evenly with the foam when hand sanded......but it all may depend upon your expectations. In my experience Shellac is best for a joint that needs to be machinable but even though it is very thin, it's hard and also will not abraid evenly with foam when worked with abrasives by hand but better than elastomeric cements. It doesnt burn out as well as low melt point glues and elastomers but there is so little of it, it can be a fair trade.

Best,
    Kelly

15. Al2O3

I should also mention PVA, as in PolyVinyl Alcohol as opposed to Poly Vinyl Acetate as a candidate for laminating foam. Alcohol is the solvent so it doesn't attack foam and has much higher vapor pressure than water based glues so you at least have a chance of drying out laminates with time and/or modest heat. More here:

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/in...yrene-foam-gluing-techniques.1000/#post-24785

I know we've discussed it a bunch of times. Two sided tapes are also an option if your just sticking boards together but again, anything with very low melt temps or that remains tacky at room temp won't machine well. I have accumulated a half dozen new glues that I was going to test for machining, sanding, hot wiring, and burn out, etc......just havent gotten around to it because on most, I think I can predict the outcome. Maybe in the next few weeks I'll get a chance and we can move the discussion out of your intro thread.

Best,
    Kelly

16. SRHacksaw

SRHacksaw Silver

Hi Kelly, sorry for the slow reply, away for the weekend.

I was specific and named the brand and actual product in post #6 above....again: "Elmer's Rubber Cement". It comes in a bottle NOT a spray can, And it has an applicator brush. It's normally used in an office (or school) to glue paper together. It's an old fashioned product. Been around well into the last century

The general term the other products you mention is "contact adhesives", not trade named "rubber cement". I've tried many of those myself including 3M 77 with similarly poor results on PS foam.

Look, no pressure, I was merely making a specific product suggestion for you to try, only if you want to. I've used it with good results on PS foam. Just wanted to share that in case it was useful.

Don't try it if it doesn't appeal at all. Or if you do try it and don't like how it acts, no problem, and you're probably only out a couple bucks. I think you may even be able to get it at Walmart, etc. in the office supply section. Used to be able to anyway.

17. SRHacksaw

SRHacksaw Silver

Pic:

Attached Files:

18. Al2O3

Not trying to be combative or argumentitive, just informed. Now if you tell me you have been using Elmer's rubber cement to laminate sheets of polystyrene foam, and you run a 1/4" diameter cutter through feet of the glue joint at 20+krpm all day and it never sticks to or fouls the cutter, and you can make shallow angle cuts through the glue joint and it sands like the joint isn't even there, you've got my attention, unless I discover it's just some elastomer supended in toluene.

Elmers is a brand not a formulation. I did go and look at a half a dozen ads, and there is no mention of the formulation. The official Elmers website is not helpful. Rubber cements and contacts cements are generalisms for elastomers suspended in solvents. Contact cements have more solvent and less elastomers. IMO, they all suck as far as being machinable and sandable. The reason I asked for composition is I don't need to test different brands if they are the same composition because having already done so many times I know how those formulations will behave. Just like when someone asks me if I've tried a certain brand or type of foam product for patterns......my reply is always "what's the base polymer and what's the density?"

I've learned I'm better off sourcing thicker foam or designing the part in pieces such the the glue joint doesn't need to be worked.....just assembled.

After you get your casting process for lost foam iron down, it will become all about the pattern materials, design and construction methods, gating and positioning in the mold. If you're just trying to cast general shapes you can get away with a lot, but if you want professional looking and functioning castings, these things matter.

Best,
    Kelly

19. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

Welcome to the forum! Have you recast the westinghouse steam engine in iron yet? It was a shame that it did not fill up the mold last the time. You would know me as ironman on another forum.

20. SRHacksaw

SRHacksaw Silver

Why would I tell you that? What I said was: "I was wondering if you had tried what I often use for laminating thin foam, Elmer's rubber cement? It makes a very thin film, you dry both pieces before joining in a couple of minutes, and it sands very well compared to just about any other adhesive on foam."

Only a friendly very simple suggestion. It works well for me. Good luck with your foam casting. Beautiful work.