Help...I dont know why this doesnt work

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by Mouse51180, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Mouse51180

Mouse51180 Copper

I have built my first foundry and burner and am not able to use it. My burner is not functioning properly and being an absolute newbie to this...I have no idea what might be wrong.

I followed the instructions and bought a paper copy of the build from Brian Oltrogge.
    His video can be viewed here:

The issue with burner can be viewed here:

Here is a review of the plans I followed:
    [​IMG]

Any help is appreciated.

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

What are you using for a regulator??

3. DavidF

Looks like a low pressure regulator off a bbq grill. No good...
    Wheres the red regulator from the first video?
    SmartSelect_20201208-150938_Chrome.jpg

4. Mouse51180

Mouse51180 Copper

Perhaps that is what my issue is then...
    I dont have the regulator from the first video...it was not mentioned in the instruction plans and the hose I have connected is what I found at home depot. I will look for a different regulator to swap it out with.
    Thanks for the info...hopefully that corrects my issue.

Will pick this up this afternoon and see if this helps...
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gas-One...ure-Propane-Regulator-and-Hose-2215/311522156

5. DavidF

No... get one for a turkey frier. 60 psi regulator.... or bypass the regulator and run straight bottle pressure ( just for test)

6. Mouse51180

Mouse51180 Copper

Bummer...guess I wont be going to Home Depot tonight then. Looks like the highest they have is a 30psi regulator...will get a 60 psi regulator off Amazon...

I might still go to Home Depot either way though... :D

7. DavidF

A 30 psi one might get you by depending on how much it can flow....
    Are you going to just use the propane for preheat

8. Mouse51180

Mouse51180 Copper

This is my fist attempt at any of this...so im not really sure what my final "needs" will be. Right now im looking at just doing propane as a fuel source, but liked the idea of being able to use the oil port on this design for alternate fuels in the future as I get to know the hobby better.

All in all right now I would like to make a sand cast from a 3d printed part....make an aluminum mold from said 3d part and then use that mold to make some custom lead SCUBA weights...

9. rocco

rocco Silver

I generally run my Reil style propane burner at around 15 psi so I think the 30psi one would probably be adequate.

10. DavidF

11. rocco

rocco Silver

In spite of what I've already said, get the highest psi regulator that's available to you. There's no down side and no one wants to find out the hard way that what they've bought is inadequate.

12. DavidF

Have to watch the flow ratings more than anything. Alot of regulators have a restrictor in line before the regulator or even in the regulator. I had to drill it out on one of those 0-30 psi regulator to get the volume i needed. (For bronze anyway)

13. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Do you really have the propane plumbed into the siphon nozzle and the compressed air dumping into the burner tube, or are they actually the other way around?

Jeff

14. rocco

rocco Silver

Good point, perhaps I should have worded that differently and said, get the highest capacity regulator available to you.

15. DavidF

I'm pretty sure that design has the compressed air and propane tied together before becoming the "air" for the siphon nozzle.
    Basically the propane is running through the air passage that creates the suction on the siphon nozzle...
    Make sense??

16. Tobho Mott

That would make sense, maybe I misunderstood mouse's video.

Jeff

17. rocco

rocco Silver

That seems ill advised, in order to do that safely, it would require one way valves on both the air and propane supplies located just prior to the mixing point to ensure the air and propane mix ONLY where to want them to mix.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  18. Tobho Mott

Yeah, that makes sense too. The only reason I can think of to run gas through the siphon is to deliver it to the end of the burner in order to keep it from escaping the burner tube through an unused blower port. But IMO this thing is meant to always use a blower. Why would you rather use compressed air for combustion than a blower if you're not siphoning oil? I guess maybe if you had unlimited compressed air...

I would use it as follows: compressed air goes to the nozzle, gas dumps into the burner tube, always use a blower, and only turn on the compressed air for siphoning and atomizing oil. Just like any number of other siphon nozzle burners we have seen here before. No tiny orifice is needed to suck air into a venturi with the propane, it can just dump into the tube, so a lower pressure regulator can be used than what you guys have on your Reil burners. But not as low as what's on it now. I never crack mine open past about 5psi, just enough to keep up with a hair dryer blower.

Jeff

19. Mouse51180

Mouse51180 Copper

im afraid most of this is still over my head on how and where the gasses should mix together. All I can really say is watch the first video...that is the system that seem to work and that I built my burner from. From how I understood the design...it was intended to be used for oil or propane.

Either way, I have a 0-30psi regulator that was suppose to come in yesterday...hope it comes in today so I can start playing with the air flows and see what happens when I start adjusting knobs. As soon as I get that installed and tested I will report back.

@DavidF How do you identify the restrictor you had to drill out of your regulator?

20. DavidF

It was in the end of the nipple where it screwed into the tank. The diameter of this drilled passage was half the size of the jet in my burner.
    So I drilled it out ;). Thats how it was on this regulator, other regulators may differ...