Help...I dont know why this doesnt work

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by Mouse51180, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Mouse51180

Mouse51180 Copper

I think I said that in my post...?

The opening in the side of the foundry where the burner is inserted is a 2" diameter as the original plans called for a 1.5" tube burner. When everyone suggested running the Reil burner...I figured that since it pulled the air from the back and mixed it in the tube...that was the correct size, but I still think I might be under scaled for my foundry. If I increased the pipe sized of the Reil design, I figure this would allow more air to be pulled in from the back, but I still am unsure if it would be enough. I did not fill the gap around the tuyere with anything.

The only thing I could do to the lid was place a concrete cover over it. When I did this, the temp dropped. When I removed it, the temp raised. This is what let me to playing with moving the lid around and eventually finding out that my hottest temp was when I removed the lid completly.

Here is a short video of what I happen to shoot before I ran out of propane. When I replace the lid the flame comes out of all sides. I have to reduce the propane until the flame goes back down, then raise the propane back up until I get back to my temps.
    My guess is the design of this foundry just requires a forced air (blow dryer) burner.

2. It's a furnace not a foundry. "It's a classroom not a school"

You should definitely plug the opening around the burner. You're sucking a lot of air in and it's not mixed well to burn and is chilling the furnace. Do that before you try to put in a bigger burner. Leave the top open.

That extra air is also why you got little or no aluminum. I have melted thousands of cans and lose less than 30% by weight. I've made lots f usable ingots but I have so much free aluminum from other sources it is no longer worth my time to melt cans. But it is a blast to make nice ingots from worthless cans.

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

dennis likes this.
  4. dennis

dennis Silver

The yellow tinge to the flame? Kind of "soft and mellow" flame action? Quiet? Like it should have a harder and hungrier sound?

Question: is the vent/exhaust port/outlet/??? a bit small-looking? Like the on-site manual has a list of "rules of the fingers" that implies one wants an outlet roughly a third of the furnace bore?

5. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

As mentioned above, you need to plug the gap in the tuyere.
    Get rid of the temp probe, it's distracting you from tuning the burner.
    Start with 5 psi gas and adjust the air damper until the burner is at it's highest sounding pitch and burning a steady blue flame. Then start increasing the gas and keep adjusting the air.
    I hate to say this but your vent looks to be 2" and that will restrict how much air you can pump into the furnace. It should be 3.5" to 4" in diameter. That's why I mentioned 5 psi.

oldironfarmer and Tobho Mott like this.