Kiln PID Controller retrofit?

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Zapins, May 25, 2018.

1. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

I've ran a cheap SSR on my CNC router to control the spindle for a couple of years now. I've not had any issues with it and so far not worried with it. I will admit that I over rated it by 200%

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Kelly, You're over 50, forget it. If you are anything like my parents, setting the clock on a VCR is mission impossible. Mail it my way. :p

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hey....not that much over 50......and of the two people in this conversation one of them presently has a ramp and soak controller running in his shop....and it aint you. Hah! :D

One thing to keep in mind about old people......life in prison is a much shorter sentence.

Best,
    Kelly

4. The versions I have are labelled REX C100, I left a comment on a youtube video with two different parameters that had to be changed, one unlocked a configuration menu and the second set the upper limit to 1500 deg C, I'll see if I can find the exact video, it's been a while.

I'll take a look at those XMTG-8000 controllers, as for the REX C100, there's this other video:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

Good! Maybe Kelly can do a ramp and soak video for those of us approaching 50 that are VCR clock retarded.:D

6. Jason

Jason Gold

How about this one? I suffered through the video, but near the end, he talks about a ramp up and soak. Funny how no where this thing is sold mentions how many friggen segments it has. :mad: It's cheap as chips. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...troller-for-Industrial-Usage/32773825607.html Anything with segments listed on fleabay is 80bucks. :rolleyes:

I'll save you some time... start around 5:20 and follow him to the end.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Mark's castings likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

8. Jason

Jason Gold

I took the bait. That controller is 220vt 50/60 is the only :rolleyes: I saw... So I grabbed it, a 60amp relay and a ceramic t-couple. With a 4buck coupon, I was out the door for $25bucks. What a deal.:D

9. Jason

Jason Gold

He even posted how to program this thing to do ramp soak as the manfct. instructions suck. Pg 4 has the nitty gritty for this controller. Bless his little vodka filled heart!
    https://kilns.pro/download-attachment/315

The answer btw is 32. This thing has 32 segments! kickazz!

10. A lot of those have switchmode power supplies good for 100-250VAC it would be unusual to be 250V only, though weirder things have happened.

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Good point mark. These asshats cant even decide what the correct model number is. I can try shoving 110 at it and see if she chooches.;)
    Now that I'm about to be armed with a competent controller, it's time to figure out the annealing schedule.

12. You might look at the power input connections on the back, they may list the voltage. Or not.

13. Looks like the fourth letter denotes the physical dimensions of the unit and from some of the Ali Express ads it's powered from 220VAC +-10%.

14. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Here's a simplified instruction sheet that the seller provided when I bought the XMTG-8000 ramp and soak PiD controller. I programmed an 10-step program with it for curing refractory. I also due heat treat schedules with it. I just reprogram the first step to high temp and put in hold when I want to melt with it.

As I mentioned in the quote above, the manual at the link also seems to apply in most cases. The seller used these controllers for glass annealing controller kits he sold. I can't attest to his sample programs.

XMTG-8000 Ramp and Soak.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  15. That looks like the resistive temperature device (RTD) version of the XMT-7000 unit (thermocouple). This Alibaba ad for it claims it's 220VAC +-10% and then in the same line says it runs off 85-265VAC: https://xmxbl.en.alibaba.com/produc..._XMT_8000_digital_temperature_controller.html it seems there's always an element of surprise in the specs, like other controllers with electromechanical relay output that claim to be SSR outputs.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah, those stupid clowns always have screwed up descriptions. I hope it's 85-265... but won't be butthurt if it's not. Alibaba is decent if you don't mind buying in bulk. For onesey twoseys it's aliexpress for me. :D

Thanks for posting that Kelly. I have printed it off.

17. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I read that as a 220 volt AC input, ie: it is designed to plug into the wall in Europe, not in the US.

Will it run off of 120 VAC?
    I would assume no, else it would not say 220 VAC, but that is just my guess.

18. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I thought I posted this stuff somewhere here, but I am not seeing it.
    This is what I bought.
    I don't have it operating yet, but think it will work (I hope).
    Everything was purchased on ebay.
    I bought some big aluminum heat sinks too; I don't recall if I needed one or two.

And it does say 90-260 V, AC/DC, and I run my controller with a 120VAC power, so I guess my assumption above was wrong?

The instructions are in Chinglish, so a little tricky to understand, but not too bad.

If you forget to buy a heat sink, you will burn up the SSR.

Universal-Controller-01.jpg

FOTEK-SSR-100-DA.jpg

MYPIN-T-SERIES-CONTROLLER-01.jpg

MYPIN-T-SERIES-CONTROLLER-02.jpg

MYPIN-T-SERIES-CONTROLLER-03.jpg

THERMOCOUPLE-TYPE-K.jpg

CONTROLLER-01.jpg

CONTROLLER-02.jpg

Document (265).jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  19. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I went with a 100 amp unit on the Fotec SSR.
    This cut sheet goes up to 75 amps, but I think the one I bought is 100 amps.
    http://www.fotek.com.tw/pdf/etc_34.pdf

The nameplate on my larger kiln says 10,350 watts at 240 volt, 1-phase, 45 amps, and it uses a 2-pole breaker which I think is a 60 amp unit.

You want devices rated at least 125% of your full load current.