Plaster Mold Questions

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Sirgei, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Sirgei wrote "You have given what people in my field of research call a ''classical example of common skepticism''

Your "field of research" is what people in the real world commonly refer to as "bullshit".

To summarise this thread, Sirgei has fallen for crackpot bullshit pseudo "science". As with all bullshit pseudo science and other conspiracy nonsense, it is currently secret, as the illuminati would stamp it out if they find out the egg shaped stones he is pulling out his vagina produce enough free energy to destroy the global energy cabal. To make his flux capacitor, he needs a part (which he "designed" in MS Paint), which he cant afford. He has been to various companies and institutions in the real world, asking them to make his part for way under cost, and they all threw him out for wasting their time. Short sighted fools they are!

We are a a hobby forum. We do this for entertainment. The notion of Sirgei's chemtrails generator is vaguely entertaining, so we'll play along until it gets boring.

Sirgei, all the well meaning advise you have been given above is ignorant bullshit, aimed to try and throw you off the path to success. Don't you see it, these guys keep asking for your secrets, so that they can steal your idea and be the godzillionairre instead of you. History is full of guys like you who where the true genius's, but were cheated and robbed of the brilliant idea. And you know it.

You can easily cast a perfect 120mm diameter pure copper pipe, 300mm long with a 3.4mm wall thickness, here is how:
    - Get a piece of plastic water pipe the right size,
    - mould it in plastic of paris. Use the cheap stuff, it doesnt matter, because here is the key to success of this whole venture... don't tell any one, but I discovered this in an old classified add in Pop science... Hemorrhoid cream! If you use Prep H as the mould release compound, you will get perfect castings every time. You don't even need a furnace, since we all know the burning sensation is enough to melt copper.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Fing EPIC!!!! lmao..
    If anyone deletes Rotary's noble prize winning response, I'm quitting the forum!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  3. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Totally agree Jason!

On a serious note (if I can bring myself to take any of this seriously anymore) Have you checked your council tennancy agreement? You have already fallen out with the neighbours, blown up a piece of candle wax and you are now proposing chucking molten copper around! If it goes wrong and it probably will you'd better have a park bench and a bottle of vodka reserved.

BTW: Tesla died broke and lonely in a hotel room he couldn't pay for, just saying.

Jason likes this.
  4. I don't agree with his approach to getting assistance as he tends to be a bit of an askhole and find his chances of technical success are slim at best. That said he's been more or less polite and there's no point to giving him a hard time. When the shoe is on the other foot, I try not to "sink the boot in" as a matter of policy.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    dtsh likes this.
  5. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Thanks for the good life advice Mark. I generally try to be a better person and avoid internet controversy, by sometimes the vorpal bunny in me sneaks past my limited judgement, showing off my mean streak.

I figured that the probability of this thread resulting in any meaningful heat application to copper never really exceeded zero, so it was ripe for a little detour. Of course if Sirgei now spends the next year systematically closing in on that casting through successive attempts, posting and discussing his failures, and learning from them, I will be the first to apologise.
    Mark

David McCauley and Jason like this.
  6. "Three shall be the number thou shalt count and the number of counting shall be three".

David McCauley likes this.
  7. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I don't think anyone is being particularly nasty, a little frustration vented with a touch of sarcasm maybe.

Here's a thought why not re-do the maths and adjust the length of the tubes so you still have resonant circuit and can use standard pipe sizes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/108mm-Copper-Tube-Copper-Pipe-Choose-Length-/111293704727

108mm for the outside tube, 76.1mm for the inner, 16.5mm air gap tune the length with your math, fine tune by moving the centre pipe in and out of the outer manually?

8. OMM

OMM Silver

9. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Having just spent three hours trying to assemble a well known Swedish brand of wardrobe I no longer consider myself qualified or technicaly adept at anything beyond a hammer so I'll leave the rest of the advice to you guys. ;)

10. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

I have developed a small side question.

Would you please show me the correct high temperature gloves?
    What I was shown before are gloves used for TIG wielding
    I think those might not be correct ones for the use in smelting.

Am I right?

11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Your uncle must have been seriously pee'd off about his TIG welder, as would have my folks if dropped lead from a great height and broke the windows.

I think gloves are the least of your worries but alumex (sp) are proper foundry gloves, stay away from the heat and very good welders gloves will do what you need.

Smelting is reducing ore to produce metal, melting is what we generally do here. I appreciate the language barrier. Try wiki for an explanation.

Have you checked your council house tenency yet? The contract will exclude dangerous foundry work if a] it becomes obvious and b] your neighbours have it in for you and shop you in.

EDIT: Gloves like these aluminised https://www.thesafetysupplycompany....MIg4HPuo6L6gIVEu7tCh19QAUREAQYASABEgIwrfD_BwE

12. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

13. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Fair enough, without google.

When it gets to your 'melt' we have temperature test that will give you a good measure as to if you are to pouring temp. We call it the 'stick test' and without a thermocouple it's pretty accurate.

When you clear the dross from the top of the melt you'll see a shiny swirly pattern in the top of the metal, hang over the furnace with your pants down and drop your penis into it, if the metal doesn't stick to your penis you are ready to poor, if it sticks it's too cold. Make sure you are wearing gloves when you do this test although the loss of your favoured hand may become irrelevant.

Glad to be of help :) I'll drop round next time i'm passing through Newcastle A&E to see how you are getting on.

DavidF, ban me if you must but my 'care in the community' spirit has just evaporated.

Rotarysmp and Jason like this.
  14. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

Here is a neighbor down the road who has 3 sheds in garden. One of the sheds is a woodworking workshop.
    Contract says in general only that if here is any hobby performed on the property it must not lead to the damage of the property in any way.
    Means ''inside the house'' by the property.
    Garden is for some reason excluded all together. It says in not so many words that garden is my responsibility.
    It is not anything illegal.
    Neighbors that I mentioned. They very nosy. Reason for their dislike have been greatly magnified by COVID-19 situation. They are big fans of football, drinking, pubs and going out.
    Football was closed till yesterday in UK and will be played in close stadiums.
    Pubs are all shut until unknown times in the future.
    Going out somewhere by the bus or metro have a mandatory mask usage which my neighbors do not understand.
    So, only think they got left is drinking. Shops that sell discounted drink were stamped as none-essential so was no way for them to get a lot of cheap drink. This made them even madder. To say it honestly and perfectly straight - we are not on the same level.

Even last when I was working with another project, neighbor asked me what is it I am doing. I told him straight up and he replied ''stop talking rocket science and start talking sense'' I said it differently, but he said again that what I am saying is meaningless and he wants an answer that he would understand so I told him that here is none if don't understand this. He shouted ''ARE YOU CALLING ME STUPID?'' I said I did not. But he said anyway ''yes yes you are. You saying I am stupid because I don't understand your rocket science. Why can't you be normal? Normal like everyone else about here? By ''normal'' he means drinking till you fall over and next morning having a blue face from drinking. Neighbours have only 1 occupation - binge drinking 7 days a week.

Neighbor on another side jump up at every sound that he thinks is inappropriate. If such sound is heard, he gets a ladder, peeks over the fence and shouts ''What was that? What is going on?'' Often he shouts ''This is not normal!'' Or ''I am ordering You to become NORMAL! This is a direct order of a senior neighbor'' Or ''BE NORMAL OR I AM GOING TO HOUSING OFFICE!''

His normality is to be local bush telegraph. Sit in the garden all day watching crows and seagulls fly by.

Normality of 4 other neighbors is drinking, sit on sofa all day and spreading lies about other neighbors.

I hope I have fully explained my local position.

15. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

I see you enjoying very much to convert my serious responses to laughing. I been on a forum once where I was serious and seriously ran a topic. And 1 person converted all my replies to something similar to yours. Everyone else laughed at it and then moderator closed my thread for being off-topic.
    No, I wouldn't want to get banned. I am easy person. If you want to get amused off my thread please go ahead.:):):)

16. Peedee

Peedee Silver

In the interests of anyone else in the world who is coming into this hobby and happens across this thread please do not use the 'penis' temperature test! I do not condone it, it is very dangerous, and myself or this forum is in no way liable if you do.

17. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

NOW he warns me... :rolleyes:

Rotarysmp and Peedee like this.
  18. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Ooops, sorry, err speak to my lawyer....

Tobho Mott likes this.
  19. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

My electric furnace had arrived a few days ago. I am getting ready to smelt my various copper scrap that i got into a single ingot
    I will post update here when done.

I haven't yet tested drying the plaster of Paris mold in an oven.
    Different sites give different temperature.
    Some say microwave. Another baking oven.
    Anyways, just because I said nothing past weeks don't mean I dumped.
    Even tho some here were sarcastic and others even offensive.

And you, OMM not bothered to read my other reply I had a crack at your assay list, Without Google, ofc.

I will do a test pour for a tankard. 90mm x 150mm
    It is not a bronze boxthat someone else had posted.
    But it is something :)
    I will put it in a separate post.
    Regardless of outcome good ior bad.
    But ofc I hope it pans out
    If it doesn't I would need to have another think

20. Jason

Jason Gold