Wax piston sprue extruder?

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Zapins, May 21, 2018.

1. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

On the pot the 2 outer pins will hook up to +VDC and -VDC. The center pin is the wiper, or signal. Finding +10V on terminal 7 MIGHT imply that the pot connections are 5,6,7... But I wouldn't try it without some serious tracing of the PC board connections - which we don't know enough about yet. Blindly trying it just MIGHT let the magic smoke out of the unit.

If this was a freebie drive then I guess you really don't have much to lose, other than a potential sale on Ebay for a couple hundred bucks. (That particular drive is kinda pricey for some reason.) Give it a few days, I haven't heard back from the Radwell rep yet. Who knows we might get lucky - it's happened before.

Don

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Gotcha. I'll be patient! I really don't want to brick this thing. I'm surprised that the wiring diagram is so hard to find. The company didn't do a good job of making it available for sure! Maybe thats why they went under?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  3. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

Zap:

I still haven't heard anything from Radwell. I gently reminded my contact on Friday that I hadn't heard anything yet, and that all we REALLY needed was the connection diagram for your drive. I told him that a scanned page, or even a fax would do. They're usually right on top of things, probably shouldn't have told him it was for a personal project.

Don

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Well thanks for kicking butt on my behalf! I appreciate it!

5. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Being held in suspense this long really sucks..

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Blue balls are killing me!

7. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I thought I had a lead on a pic of a setup but it fell through.
    An ebay listing for a used one but turned out to be a new one with the wires still in the shrink tube.
    There is another seller with a used one but they have hundreds of items listed and I didn't ask for a pic of TB2.

8. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

Patience you must learn young Skywalker.

Zapins likes this.
  9. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

Zap:

I haven't heard from Radwell or the other outfit that repairs the drives regarding a connection diagram. It's time to be a little more like the vultures in the comics and say "Patience HELL, I'm gonna kill sumthin." Only we'll try not to kill the drive, only make it do something.

Would you be willing to remove the electronics and get me some high resolution pictures of both sides of the PC board? If you can get the entire board in one shot that would be great, otherwise be sure to overlap the pictures. I know you found 10VDC on one of the terminals, so that's a start to finding the correct connections for the pot.

Don

10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Here is what I was able to get. Let me know if you need other angles i tried to tilt the camera to capture it from slightly different sides to show the lettering.
    20221216_133547.jpg 20221216_133629.jpg 20221216_133717.jpg 20221216_133703.jpg

11. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

Zap:

Cut the wire-ties on the wires that go to the pot and the Run/Off/Jog switch and get a shot of the printing on the wires, particularly at the stripped end. Sometimes they will print/emboss the terminal number on the wire. I see what looks like an E2 on one wire on the board, and a 50 on another. If that's the connection where those wires are landed, maybe we'll get lucky and we won't need a super-secret decoder ring to figure out where the rest go?

They had to do something to make it easy enough for just about any schmuck to assemble these at the factory. You know, a put Tab A in Slot B type of thing. We GOTTA be smarter than them, right?

Don

12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'd have guessed something like that! Or maybe... put a wiring diagram sticker inside the casing... lol

I'll get more shots on Sunday night/Monday when I'm back from work.

13. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

Zap:

Did you ever get a chance to take a look at those wires to see if they were marked with a terminal number? Enquiring minds want to know.

Don

14. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Sorry for the delay. I managed to undo all the ties and labeled the wires. Looks like they go 50-57. And E1 which seems to be the power line in.

I wonder if its as simple as connecting the matching numbers?
    20230126_224524.jpg

15. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

I think you've got a couple of other wires that are already connected to the board that have similar markings on them. If the markings on those wires match where they are connected, then like to like would be a safe bet - I'd try it. Turn the pot down to minimum, put the run switch in off, and put in a small fuse. If this drive was a freebie you're not really out anything if it goes poof, but I doubt that it will.

16. FishbonzWV

There's 10v dc on pin 7. The trim pots for min/max/comp are in that area on the board. The 10v feeds the speed pot on the face plate and the wires 53, 54,55 feed the trim pots. I just haven't troubleshot it. Wires 56, 57 are on the run/jog switch.
    Watch out because there's 60v on terminal 3 or 4, I forget which one.
    According to the 2600 schematic there is an external 24vdc that energizes the circuits.

17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Do you think connecting the numbers up to matching number would work?

18. FishbonzWV

No

19. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

Zap:

When you were probing the drive terminals with your multimeter, did you ever find a +24V terminal? "IF" these guys didn't completely change things around between models, and the book Fishbonz found was good for several models, then your connections SHOULD be something like this - and this is just an educated guess!:

ALWAYS UNPLUG THE DRIVE BEFORE YOU TRY CHANGING ANY CONNECTIONS.
    The Pot connections are probably terminals 5, 6, & 7 because you said you found +10V on terminal 7.
    When you turn the Pot to 100%, this is usually CW from the front of the panel, the wire that is connected to that side of the Pot will be the one you connect to terminal 7. Since they are showing a +10V signal in the book and you found a +10V terminal we can safely assume that they are looking for a 0-10V speed signal. When the Pot is turned to the 100% position the wiper is basically connected directly to the +10V pin. The wiper is connected to the center pin of the Pot so that wire should go to terminal 6, and the last wire should go to pin 5.

For the Run/Jog connections you'll need to find the +24V terminal. I'm guessing that the +24V might be on terminal 1, just because that is how I'd do it I was designing that thing. Regardless of that, the Run/Jog signal should be 1 terminal up or down from the +24V terminal. As a test, I'd connect a resistor between the 2 terminals and see if the unit turns on. I'd use a resistor somewhere between 10K and 100K ohms. That size resistor SHOULD eventually charge the circuit t0 +24V and make things work. The resistor WILL limit the current to around 2.4mA with a 10K resistor, which should allow the electronics to survive if we made a boo-boo on the connections. The 100K would be safer, but might not allow the drive to work. (If you have the resistors, you could start at 100K and work you way down to 10K. I don't know if I go much lower than 10K.)

Set the speed to mid-range, plug the drive in and hope. If we're lucky and guessed correctly about the terminal numbers, with the resistor installed the motor will start up when you plug the drive in. If, when you turn the speed up the motor slows down then we guessed wrong about the Pot connections and you'll need to flip the wires around on terminals 5 & 7. If it does start up and run, then you should be able to remove the resistor and connect the wires from the Run/Jog switch where the resistor used to be.

Not gonna make any guarantees, but this might get your drive running and keep the magic smoke where it belongs.

Don

20. FishbonzWV

Terminal 1 is Tach . T2 is ground, T3 is 60v when using T2 or T4 as ground.
    I think 6,7,8 are the Pot terminals.