weird Petrobond sand recipe

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by HT1, Oct 11, 2020.

1. I think it prices things out of my reach, I would have paid about half that price happily.

2. Out of interest I got a quote: AUD $86 freight so it would be over AUD $300 per sack.

3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I think it is a safe bet those drillers are paying a fraction of that price. Someone near an ongoing operation could probably get it from an operator for very little money.

Denis

4. I'm a long way from any oil drilling or fracking areas, after working through the net and phonebook, most of the local drilling companies drill for water only and haven't heard of it which makes it difficult.

5. Mach

Mach Silver

Schlumberger's old model was to sell through distributors or sell their services with the products. You might try companies like Blick who have a distribution network in Australia. https://www.blick.group/drilling-fluid-drill-mud There should be a series of smaller distributors who may carry Bentone 38 in another product. It'd be described as a viscosifier. It has to be Bentone though not bentonite - Baroid has a series of products that are based on bentonite. Baker Hughes Carbo-Gel has a mix of bentone with bentonite but they have another product with just bentone.

Also ran across this - if anyone's in or near North Dakota. Auction for VG-Plus

[​IMG]

6. I've contacted the Blick people, they're in Melbourne a fair bit close than Adelaide, will see if they get back to me.

7. Has anyone tryed the vg plus to see if it will make kbond sand i found it across the state wondering if its worth the 8hour round trip across Oklahoma for it or just bit the bullet and pay 200$ plus freight for50# of petrobond ll mix to make my own petrobond

8. Melterskelter

The correct formula for Kbond is in my quoted post. I got this from Cobett who was instrumental in developing Kbond at Kent State. It works. I have not yet mixed any. I got my hands on Bentone only 2 days ago.

You can check and verify by doing a search on the web for Kbond formula.

Denis

Added: Here is a source from an internet search:
    https://www.afsinc.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/k-bond sand.pdf

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  9. Mach

Mach Silver

If you want to give a go, I can ship 20lbs to you (or anyone else) for $56 plus shipping. PM me your address and I can give you an exact number.

JCSalomon likes this.
  10. Melterskelter

I got a shipment from Mach. He had packaged it amazingly well. And it shipped immediately. I appreciate his hard work in sourcing the material, packaging and shipping it AT COST. Thanks!

Denis

JCSalomon likes this.
  11. Melterskelter

I had to look up the exact organophillic clay got though according Cobett any orgaophillic will work. Mach bought VG-Plus.

Added later: I put this in the wrong thread. I meant to put it into:

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/in...nd-sand-similar-to-petrobond.1759/#post-39281

Msybe there is some good in having to make this post as it will direct future users interested in compounding K-bond to the new thread focused on that process.

Denis

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021