Kwiky burner with a twist

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by OMM, May 22, 2019.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

Squirrel cage are the quietest hands down. But they lack pressure. They move a lot of lot of air. A regular fan can move just as much air but with more pressure. Radial blowers can move the most amount of air...and depending on the design the highest pressure. But they get super loud.

I built a homemade dust collector system (blower and all) for my woodworking shop. That thing kicks off about 80 dB at 10 feet. I do not believe any manufacture has made a system as efficient yet.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Jason likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

Good to see ya got that one ironed out. With the kwiky, you don't need pressure that's for sure.

3. OMM

OMM Silver

With a little bit more playing with different fittings, I think I’m going to illuminate the two needle valves for the fuel and just try the little mini red ball valves. I want to stick this all inside of a 1 inch black iron pipe. The ID of the black iron pipe is 1.050“. To place the brass T fittings inside the pipe centrally I will need to modify them a wee bit. I am stepping the 1 inch NPT down to half inch NPT and out the back I’m adding a quick connect with a hose fitting for my combustion air. I’m hoping I’ll be able to push enough air through a garden hose. The only thing I have a concern about (and I won’t know until I try it) is using the quick connect air fittings for the fuel. The quick connects do you restrict volume a bit.

3036ECF7-3D8C-44E2-BFB5-946E076AE5A1.jpeg

4. OMM

OMM Silver

For more detail here’s a video where I’m going with this. And my final design.

And here is my turning to make things fit. This is a bit of a boring video!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Jason likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

There ya go.... Keep pressing on!

6. OMM

OMM Silver

Thanks Jason.

Today I put the whole assembly together and gave it a test. I was only testing using water. With pressurizing the nozzle with compressed air it would syphon about 2 feet I continued doing my test with 1 foot of syphon with a 20” drop . At 40 psi it would start to put air back in to the water or the combustible fuel line. Once the 20 inch syphon + drop was established, I could turn off the compressed air and get 6 L per hour flow. At 30 psi I was getting 12 L per hour flow rate.

I’m using a four stage turbine for my combustible air.

With the compressed air off and the combustible air off there was a steady stream that just dropped with gravity.

When I turned on the combustible air the water started spattering up to 4 feet away. But pretty big droplets. And they weren’t very well controlled.

So tonight I bored out the inside of the burn tube and I turned up a little Venturi for the combustible air.

My thought is maybe turning off the pressurized air at some point during the warm up and just use combustible air.
    7748D3A0-2657-4F85-9926-8068AA508CC8.jpeg 444DD30D-4259-4141-A8D1-787CD2E9716D.jpeg 47A6C66C-6B27-41B2-9205-F6B2AF839FD7.jpeg The brass Venturi has a 30° included taper with a 0.250” land and it is 1 inch long and 1.100” diameter, with the through hole being 0.600”. I also modified the squarehead nozzle into a hex.
    0D13C10A-0103-4C79-A52B-4B677A948BBF.jpeg
    I figured this would assist in adjustments with using a socket head cap screw with a little T handle welded on. I machined it to 5/16.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

If I had access to half your tools, I'd be friggen dangerous! Nice lathe work.

8. OMM

OMM Silver

Tools are nothing without knowledge. Jason, you need anything let me know.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

I did need a lathe last week for my wifes insane shoerack... But I re-enginerded it. Not easy finding a 55/64" drill bit on the local market. :(
    Thanks Matt.

10. OMM

OMM Silver

When Tool and die maker’s retire they got to do something... or they die. Idle hands are the devils playground. Yeah I have a full machine shop in my 600 square-foot garage. Most of my machines are three phase(600v). Sometimes we just make things work.

oldironfarmer likes this.
  11. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

In another thread you mentioned you're using a 4-stage blower. Back in post #37 you posted a few photos but they didn't look like such. Have a picture of the 4-stage blower and what it was sourced from?

Best,
    Kelly

12. OMM

OMM Silver

A company called Fuji make them for their spray equipment. They even have a 5 stage turbine. The 5 stage boasts 9.5 psi at 150 CFM. https://www.amazon.com/d/Paint-Sprayers/Fuji-2805-T75G-Mini-Mite-Gravity-System/B01B9X3GKW
    They also have a five stage Q series (which stands for quiet) . The Q series is a little bigger. From my understanding it has insulation inside to keep it quiet needing the bigger shell.
    3816D98A-5471-47E0-891D-E7EF60562272.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  13. Al2O3

Thanks OMM. HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) paint sprayers........another potential source of vacuum or pressure source for foundry furnaces or modest vacuum casting.......but not at the price of the one in that link!

Best,
    Kelly

14. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

A homemade siphon nozzle paired up with a $1000 blower... Now I've seen it all! :D

Looking forward to seeing it in action!

Jeff

Jason likes this.
  15. Al2O3

.....but if he already owned the painting system.....free!

K

Tobho Mott likes this.
  16. OMM

OMM Silver

Yeah, I’ve owned the painting system for 5+ years. At the time I bought it, it was around $275 CAD just for the turbine and hose. That’s like US$75:cool:;)

I guess you guys haven’t noticed my ($75CAD) Starrett workbench?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  17. Jason

Jason Gold

And I thought he was blowing it with a Dyson. :D

18. OMM

OMM Silver

You guys crack me up.

I needed to keep the new Venturi in place and adjustable. I added A flat
    8883DF92-D570-48FD-8EBC-2F9392D35270.jpeg

14A31BA0-E39D-4C98-AC16-E77BF8CFEC90.jpeg
    and 10-32 setscrew in the burner tube. I also had to taper the hex coupling to 30° just before the nozzle.

9E65287D-4FE5-4105-9BAA-1772CED5E6B2.jpeg

I still need to weld on a little T handle on to the socket head cap screw. Hopefully this will be the last time I put it back together.

19. Jason

Jason Gold

Assembling all this crap inside a pipe is a PITA. That's why mine has blue tape covering the 1st generation holes. I'm NOT taking it apart AGAIN! :( If it works, Don't F with it! :D

Look at the shine on that black pipe.:rolleyes: :p:D

20. OMM

OMM Silver

I finished a little bit more testing and The small hose ball valve was restricting airflow. The hose through hole is .320”. Well at Home Depot today I found the natural gas ball valve to have a through hole of .600” . The quick connect through hole is .510” . This makes whole burner assembly a little longer than I was hoping(13.5”). But I’m glad I found A ball valve that would not restrict the air quite so much. BE6F89DF-B032-4574-9982-7E366C3F1869.jpeg

22CFA13D-F9B2-4001-B497-B7C78B10F2A3.jpeg

PatJ and Tobho Mott like this.