Leave the porch light on for me.

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Wow man that looks so professional. Really good job. You make me want to cast porch lights now and that's not even my field of interest haha.

What patina are you planning?

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks guys! Judging from all the "likes" I hope it sells easy! If I didn't have that peter marsh, I'd put it on my door step for sure! My wife even asked if
    we should keep it.:rolleyes:

lol.... Not sure Zap. You know me, good ol boring LoS. I should try to throw some green at it and brighten up the edges... :confused:
    I need to mount it to some kind of wood stand to display it lit up so I can sell it. I'll take some more photos of it later today if I can get back to it.
    I need this thing done so I can get back to the chunk jewel. First I gotta stick a radiator in my wifes car. It blew up last week:rolleyes:

3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Wow, looks great all lit up. Great job!

Jeff

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah, the colors make it kinda fun.
    20190718_114243.jpg

Mark's castings and Tobho Mott like this.
  5. That looks really awesome, a first class lamp and you've got some new techniques under your belt......Not only that, you can go from Blue Alert to Red Alert without changing the bulb :rolleyes:.

Jason likes this.
  6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

How much are you going to ask for it?

7. Considering the time and effort Jason's put into it, it would have to be priced accordingly, as a work of art rather than a hardware item. At a wild guess $2000?

Jason likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

I worked the mounting for it last night. It is setup to be very conventional in the way it mounts and will fit any standard home junction box.
    Mark has the right idea. No one in their right mind would pay this kind of money for a silly porch light. But a collector of bronze art should go nuts for it.;)
    Asking price will be a little higher than Mark's estimate.

Almost done with this...

Mounting nuts made. This sucker is over 7lbs, I was a little afraid of the weight, but not anymore. Screws are stainless. Bronze would have been too soft and
    probably would have bent under the weight. It's not going anywhere. Safety land yard is behind the mounting box section.

20190719_121631.jpg

Fresh sandblast. Signature and date is probably a little large and I should have written 1/1 for it's lack of edition.:rolleyes:
    Oh well, I'm too lazy to carve it now.
    20190719_141010.jpg

Inner workings. The angled piece of bronze secures the wires to the roof and they pass through that hole on the back into the box section.
    The piece at the very bottom (or top) of the roof is 1/8 straight pipe thread to accept conventional lamp hardware. I've got a good quality
    ceramic bulb holder for this, sucks it's made in china, but what can ya do.:(

20190719_141021.jpg

I know, same old boring patina. I'll live with it a bit and see if I'm okay with it. I turned it almost black
    and tried to leave as much as possible in the grooves on the roof.
    The good thing with a patina, if ya don't like it, ya bead blast and try again. The wax is drying here.

20190719_170439.jpg

joe yard and Tobho Mott like this.
  9. Tobho Mott

The liver of sulfur isn't gonna be boring, it looks great. Plenty of bright colours to go around once you get the glass back in it anyhow.

Jeff

Jason likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

Good point. Forgot about those. Only took a month of time to sort out and almost 200bucks in glass and boron nitride on this one. :eek:

speaking of...
    Glass, glass tools, $138
    Boron Nitride $50
    Bronze hardware $20
    Stainless steel hardware $3
    Ceramic bulb holder $8
    Lamp holder bracket $5
    Lamp hardware, wire, tap, drill bit, etc $37
    7lbs of bronze $50
    2lbs of unrecoverable wax $12
    60hrs of kiln work ???
    Diamond bits for glass work, $10
    Diamond glass blade for saw $125
    Ceramic Slurry/silicas $30
    Led light bulb $6
    Patina $1
    Sanding drums $5
    Grinder flap discs $10
    and around 140hrs of labor (not including babysitting the kiln for 60+ hrs)

SO around $500 in materials. Figure sale price of $2500(maybe)
    and I might make $14.28 an hr.:rolleyes: This is the very reason this stuff has to sell for big money.

By comparison, here is the most expensive porch light listed on home depot at the moment.
    This thing is $1499 and it's cast aluminum with an "imperial bronze finish" :rolleyes:
    Whatever that means.:confused: Without even looking, I'm SURE it's from china. It's a good looking light, but not for 1500bucks knowing that aluminum will corrode quickly and crap up the finish.

imperial-bronze-livex-lighting-outdoor-sconces-76702-58-64_1000.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Livex-L...utdoor-Wall-Lantern-Sconce-76702-58/300111527

Judging from this sat photo of this company, I dont see manufacturing being done here. Certainly no casting! My guess is assembly with parts shipped in from China or just warehousing.

Screenshot_20190719-205537_Maps.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Tobho Mott and Mark's castings like this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

Mounted on a display stand. It goes on tour Monday. I've written a short story about it without sounding too much like a typical artist a-hole. I'll place the story on the stand below the lamp.
    Glad this one is over, it's been a good time and I've learned a lot from the glass work. I got lots of good practice welding bronze and I think my skills are improving. Thanks for following the build guys, hope I gave you a few chuckles along the way! I appreciate the input, compliments and critiques..;)

20190720_170038.jpg

Now don't forget to shut the damn light off when ya go to bed! ;):D

Mark's castings likes this.
  12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Well done man.

But you know you're going to have to share a pic of the card that goes below it. Need proof it's not too artsy ; )

13. Jason

Jason Gold

14. Tobho Mott

Good luck!

Jeff

Jason likes this.
  15. "Constructed entirely from 7 lbs of silicon bronze" = "Lovingly investment cast by hand using an artisanal furnace with seven pounds of monument grade silicon bronze......optional temple monk blessed bronze available P.O.A."

I hope it sells immediately!.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Jason likes this.
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

I should have let you write that! lmao.:D You're hired!

17. What would be cool is to write an entire advert in that style and see if it works. :D

18. Jason

Jason Gold

Well, my local bronze expert doesn't think I should sell it. He wants me to make a mold and poop them out by the dozens.:rolleyes: He has a different mentality and I get that.
    Fortunately I don't have to cheapen my work to eat. He was showing me examples where he has animal heads cast from 3-400bucks and he sells them for 3grand. When I heard
    what some of these foundries are charging him, it almost makes you sick. My left nut says this stuff is finding it's way up from mexico. (Just a hunch) Pieces cost him 17bucks a pound to cast.
    Somehow I don't think that would apply here to the countless hours I spent welding this lamp together. He didn't show any interest in hosting my work and that's fine. I've got some other places I'm hitting up now.