Octopus sculpture

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Zapins, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

It was prepared wrong then. They need to be beaten against a rock in the sea until tender, then hung up in the sun for a few hours to dry and leach out the pigments in the skin, washed and then roasted on a grill, served with lemon or vinegar, salt and oregano. Best food ever. Not chewy. I grew up hunting them as a kid and eating them.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

I love me some gator. We go to Houma, LA and get the gator bites. They even do a gator po boy sandwich. Good stuff.

3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Ummm, Yea.... "just a beer"...... :rolleyes:

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

That's what my dad said for yearrrrs. Then one day we arrived at a restarant that my mother's cousins own and they prepared a huge octopus tentacle like I described and brought it out with much pomp & ceremony and all eyes at the restaurant were on him and this great honor/gift. He had to eat it. And ever since then he's loved it.

5. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Wow, talk about peer pressure....

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Eat or be shamed!

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Hey I found your dreaded air bubbles.. This it?
    I hit the inside of my tree with the butane and they started appearing.. Ya see, I never flame polish. I prefer texture, but thought I would hit the inside.... hmm, I wonder wtf that is caused by. Ignore the midori sour cocktail.

20190227_003616.jpg

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah that is. There are thousands of micro bubbles. Most pop, but some stay just like those. You need to heat a pin tool up and plunge it into the bubbles that remain, then you can hit them with the torch again and they will smooth out. Otherwise it will melt your piece before they flatten out.

No idea what causes it, but its annoying as shit. Especially since I flame polish everything.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

This wax is recycled from previous work... I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I filter all my wax through panties so I don't really know.o_O

10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Slow progress. Took me forever to put the clay around the tentacle and head since it all had to be heated up to become malleable. Maybe I need to invest in some very soft sulfur free clay.

Anyway, nearly ready to mix and brush on the first layer.

20190503_195502.jpg 20190503_195442.jpg

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Hey zap... Those bubbles have nothing to do with the mold. This is a wax issue I believe.
    Build some clay walls. r25 will run all over your desk if you don't.

12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Ooh yeah that's what I was forgetting. Knew something looked weird with what I had.

Thixo doesn't go bad does it? Mine is 2 years old now I think.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

I dont think so... Mine is 3+ and I just used it. Got stiffer than a wedding day prick!

14. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Haha ok good. Who knows with these chemicals. Resins and silicone and liver of sulfur go bad but everything else seems ok? Never know when you will get one of those weirdo chemicals that expire.

I put the goop guards on.
    20190503_230712.jpg 20190503_230632.jpg

Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

First coat of silicone. Only 3 more to go on this side. Then the dreaded fiberglass. Ugh so not looking forward to fiberglass.

I don't see any bubbles so far Jason so I think I may have gotten away without vacuuming it. What a time saver.

20190504_184334.jpg 20190504_184249.jpg

Jason likes this.
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

Good job. 2nd coat same deal... Thixoshit on the 3rd,4th and 5th coat. I'm not sure HOW thick I would go with the silicone. Too thick and it could pose a problem with those tiny tiny suckersfukers.. I'd hate to see them get ripped off when you pull your first wax.:eek:

You could always roll with a PoP MM if fiberglass really pisses you off?

17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah I'm thinking 4 layers should be ok. I split it down the side so hopefully not many issues although maybe 3 coats would be better? To make sure it comes off easier.

I hate fiberglass. Last time it ruined my jacket and made it itchy as hell to wear even after washing. I'll do it outside this time and butt naked so it won't ruin my clothes.

I need a way to easily warm the tentacle up so I can wrap it around the posts later and pose it. Not sure how I'm going to do that. I'd rather not use flames to warm it but I guess I'll see.

Another devise I need to build. A wax warmer...

18. Jason

Jason Gold

Plastic box with a light bulb in it to create a warm (not hot) chamber. 4coats would be my suggestion. 3 is still pretty thin.

19. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Gotcha I'll give it a try. I don't want it breaking down before I get a couple dozen tentacles out of this thing. How else am I going to make all the tentacles I need in my life?

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  20. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That is going to be really cool when you get it all cast.