Bronze Cookware?

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by dennis, Jan 31, 2021.

1. dennis

dennis Silver

Anyone ever heard of bronze (generically speaking) being used for, say, a (small) griddle?

If so, what kind (of bronze), and was it tinned (like a copper pot/saucepan)?

I'm not sure I will have time before mid-April to try to cast one, but I might be able to do the pattern by then. Hope is to do a bronze one eventually, and at least two cast aluminum ones. They are to have folding handles.

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Lots of videos of Indians and middle eastern people with bronze/brass cookware but it is all tinned. Copper isn't great for people's health but tin is ok.

dennis likes this.
  3. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

it's not so much the copper but the copperoxide that's not so good for you.

dennis likes this.
  4. dennis

dennis Silver

Hence tinning?

5. crazybillybob

Yes.
    Tin is also less reactive to the acids found in most foods. Imagine dumping white vinegar into a copper pan (or bronze) pan and heating it to 350F (180C).
    You want to taste the food not the pan.

6. rocco

rocco Silver

Any ideas how a hobbyists like us could put a food safe plating inside of a pot?

7. crazybillybob

Mcmaster Car
    https://www.mcmaster.com/8886K11/ ($55 per pound)
    Pure tin Foodsafe Bar (solder)
    You need to flux the surface before the tin will stick
    Food safe flux
    https://www.mcmaster.com/7765A16/ ($4.10 for 2oz)

I must note that I have never used these products or made my own cookware. Just found this answer with a bit of research. as far as i understand these materials are food safe in the us as of this post. that might not be the case everywhere.
    Also I'm sorry to the guys in Canada and abroad that these links are all for McMasterCarr. I can't help with a supplier in your neck of the woods.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    dennis likes this.
  8. dennis

dennis Silver

True. I recall seeing this done years ago.

One heats the vessel, applies flux - I'm thinking tallow, but could be wrong - and then 'wipes' on the tin.

9. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

WAAAYYYYY back in the dark ages, the mid '70's. Back when I was going to school for auto body repair, our instructor showed us how to do lead repairs. In that application the tallow was used as a lubricant not a flux. It made the paddle that was used to shape the lead work a little better. He showed us how to do it, but didn't make us do any repairs. Even at that time lead work was a dying art.

Don

10. dennis

dennis Silver

11. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I would avoid aluminum cookware as it has been associated with Alzheimer's disease. I work for a cast iron cookware company though..so there is that.LOL

12. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I do it to my mugs all the time there is a video of me doing it on my facebook page ... well there was , it seems to be missing, if you all ask nicely, I will probably be assembling some mugs next week I can video it and post .

Be forwarned, I hot tin, so I really is swirling molten tin around in side an 800 degree mug

V/r HT1

P.S.. I could have sworn I posted about tin lining mugs before

dennis likes this.
  13. spelter

spelter Copper

Pine resin (rosin, 'pitch') serves as a flux and is as safe as chewing on a tree. (Pretty safe.) Available on eBay by the pound. Be careful to distinguish from pine tar, which is something else entirely.

14. For a while around here, it was fashionable to restore vintage milk churns with a layer of tin, it was just a commercially available tin paste with sal ammoniac/ ammonium chloride flux added. There are a lot of different pastes out there including tin lead solders for making surface mount circuit boards so be sure of the composition before using it. A griddle on a fire is getting more heat than a copper saucepan over a gas flame so you could burn and oxidize the tin layer and cause problems. Nearly all of the copper cookware is made from sheet copper spun to shape on a spinning lathe with a less thermally conductive cast iron handle riveted on, a cast bronze pan would be hard to cast thin enough to be light.

Edit: the rodeo supply shops sell 1lb bags of rosin for the cowboys to use on their hands or something. I've bought two bags over the years and you want the lighter paler amber coloured rosin as the dark stuff is over cooked (the pot residue from distilling artists turpentine) and doesn't flux as well.

dennis likes this.
  15. rocco

rocco Silver

I think most of us live in areas where a rodeo supply shop would be hard to find but no worries, it's also used by baseball pitchers and it's easy to find on Amazon.

16. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Are you planning to cook with the griddle? I do not want to start dictating, but I came found this wikipedia article a couple of days ago. And I thought you might be interested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_toxicity
    Patrick

17. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm glad to see gold isn't on the list. I told my brother in law when he croaks, I got 1st dibs on his LUNGS! I know after 40years in the trade, he should be good for at least a pound!

I do think this year, I'll have my lab run a test for copperiedus so at least I have a baseline to watch for after 5 years. Speaking of LABS! Seeing we are 99% MEN around here, I do hope you guys 40 and above are hitting the lab once a year for PSA levels. I lost my dad because of prostate cancer. Even if you don't have it in your family, pay the 60bucks at a Anylabtestnow and get it done.

Don't get too excited David, you wont get the finger! It's a simple blood test!

18. dennis

dennis Silver

Potentially, yes. Tinned, then seasoned like cast iron. (?)

I already made and have used an aluminum griddle. It needs a redesign before I make any more of them.

19. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Unless someone has a link to some papers otherwise, I'm 99.9999% certain that's an old myth. I dealt with this a bit when one of my mother's siblings started experiencing dementia. It still gets a lot of attention in the media, but research largely doesn't support it.

20. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

That is the general consensus..and it depends on which research you are looking at...some call it a myth and others say there is concrete evidence. Here is a scientific abstract on the topic from one of the latest studies.
    The brain is a highly compartmentalized organ exceptionally susceptible to accumulation of metabolic errors. Alzheimer's disease (AD) is the most prevalent neurodegenerative disease of the elderly and is characterized by regional specificity of neural aberrations associated with higher cognitive functions. Aluminum (Al) is the most abundant neurotoxic metal on earth, widely bioavailable to humans and repeatedly shown to accumulate in AD-susceptible neuronal foci. In spite of this, the role of Al in AD has been heavily disputed based on the following claims: 1) bioavailable Al cannot enter the brain in sufficient amounts to cause damage, 2) excess Al is efficiently excreted from the body, and 3) Al accumulation in neurons is a consequence rather than a cause of neuronal loss. Research, however, reveals that: 1) very small amounts of Al are needed to produce neurotoxicity and this criterion is satisfied through dietary Al intake, 2) Al sequesters different transport mechanisms to actively traverse brain barriers, 3) incremental acquisition of small amounts of Al over a lifetime favors its selective accumulation in brain tissues, and 4) since 1911, experimental evidence has repeatedly demonstrated that chronic Al intoxication reproduces neuropathological hallmarks of AD. Misconceptions about Al bioavailability may have misled scientists regarding the significance of Al in the pathogenesis of AD. The hypothesis that Al significantly contributes to AD is built upon very solid experimental evidence and should not be dismissed. Immediate steps should be taken to lessen human exposure to Al, which may be the single most aggravating and avoidable factor related to AD.