Pattern Making for the Mechanically Challenged

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by mrhomescientist, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Right, I think people are getting hung up on the word "coin." While I very much appreciate the info and suggestions, it's just a little one-off thing, especially coins 2 & 3. I don't need to make 3000 perfect duplicates of them. Call it a "small plaque" if that makes you more comfortable.

David, that looks AMAZING!! I love it. Thank you so much for putting all this effort into my little project. This is so cool :cool::cool::cool:

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Thanks, now i just hope this printer works ;)
    Starting on the D coin now...

3. DavidF

This one went quick and easy....
    coin d side.jpg

4. Nice!! Do you think it'd be better to print each side as a separate piece, for ease of molding? I can manage either way.

5. DavidF

Yes, plus it make it easier to print that way...

6. Ah right, of course...

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Turkey! We had hundreds of coins made there when I was in the military. Cheap too!

Someone gave me a cool coin the other day. Incredible detail. Makes me think it was struck and not cast.
    15757768783518067682923139952003.jpg

15757769046556684044862010796340.jpg

15757770297638205096218592337443.jpg

8. OMM

OMM Silver

Jason, do you know what the material is made out of? My guess is probably aluminum. It was probably done in a hydraulic press. The top and bottom and bottom die strikes would have been finished on a CNC with a dozen hours of polishing. The side strikes so it wasn’t a super calculated finish.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Hadn't given it any thought... A magnet grabbed it hard. So not aluminium...

10. DavidF

Had to separate the text into two lines for this side, now I think it needs something at the bottom???
    playbutcoin.jpg

11. How about a little periodic table? I found this icon at https://thenounproject.com/term/periodic-table/1022332/
    I merged the left and right blocks to make one solid piece; I think that looks better.

Looking great! Does your printer have a minimum size for details? It looks good, but I'm curious why you made the text larger. Probably easier to cast.

Attached Files:

12. DavidF

Yea, I keep in mind the fact that you will be sand casting these and try to keep things so they will easily pull from the sand. I could very easily over do things in a cad model or print that would not be able to be replicated in the casting process... unless you switch to lost wax but even that has its limits especially when it comes to text.

Melterskelter likes this.
  13. DavidF

I actually model the coins larger than the finished print will be. Then scale things down for the print. Stl files are composed of triangles and when a small print is scaled up these facets can show up in the print, and vise versa...
    I printed the one coin on my FDM printer at 3" and 1.5" diameter to get a look at them. The coins are built up assemblies and my slicer took them apart and caused some errors so I'll have to use the "make solid" feature in another program before moving onto the hi-res prints.
    But this should give you some idea of what's to come... 20191208_121128.jpg

14. Man, that's cool. 1.5" was my original plan, but it might be fun to have a giant one too haha
    That was with a filament-style printer and not the UV resin one, right?

15. DavidF

Yes.. these are at .1 mm layer heights. The 3" one was printed flat, and the 1.5" one was printed on a 22' angle. When printed on the resin printer they will be at .025 mm layer heights....not sure how I will orient them just yet...

16. DavidF

ok this one is pissing me off, it wount allow me to add draft to the funky figure for some reason... oh well, tomorrow is another day....
    coinffpita.jpg

17. DavidF

I figured it out, now I'm going to bed...

18. DavidF

I win!!! This kind of thing can be a pita. I had to take the photo and put it into inkscape (an art program) and have it color trace the figure, then export it as a dfx file, copy and paste the sketch into the modeling space, correct some errors (this was what drove me nuts) extrude it into a shape with draft, then use the boolean assemble to put it on the coin.... Phew glad that over.....
    coin m side.jpg

19. Yikes! I'm starting to see why 3D design services charge so much...

I can't thank you enough for putting in so much effort for me, especially being a new member. This is really phenomenal.

20. DavidF

Its not that bad, just been some time since ive had to do things this way and I forgot how to do it so I'm having to re learn. This is a good skill builder ;) Next one will go easier...Plus I learned a couple new things. :cool: