Pattern Making for the Mechanically Challenged

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by mrhomescientist, Dec 4, 2019.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Fighting the birds, all most finished....

2. Nice! Have you tried any on the resin printer yet?

Also, I could be convinced to make them bigger if that'd make the process easier. 2" or 2.5" coin would actually be pretty cool.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  3. DavidF

Not yet, going to print them all at the same time.

4. DavidF

Got tied up with work, then had to get new tires on truck yesterday. Funny how every time I take my a vehicle to NTB they all ways need brakes and rotors?? Said my brakes are less then 2mm and the rotors are under DOT specs. I just replace all my brakes and rotors last year, do I even bother to pull a wheel and check them now? I think not.....
    Any way here is the bird coin....
    Kcoin.jpg

5. DavidF

and the jet coin....
    Screenshot_2.jpg

6. DavidF

Last one....Time to start getting them ready to print.....
    bookcoin.jpg

7. So awesome. Can't wait to see what the resin printer can do.

8. DavidF

Ah hell, forgot this...
    Screenshot_3.jpg

9. DavidF

Started the print a few hours ago. The print bed just now go up high enough to see nothing was there....Going for round 2 now....
    Also decided to make the coins 2" in diameter. 1.5" is just a bit too small.... printing just one coin at a time right now, at a .025 mm layer height it's going to take over 8 hours.... and at least 3.5 hours before the bed is high enough to see if it stuck this time....

10. Dang! I'm surprised it takes so long for how thin they are. Guess that's the price for high resolution. Good luck!

11. DavidF

Pretty sure it popped off the fep this time like it's supposed to... heard a pop similar to what it sounds like when I tap the fep. Still will be crossing my fingers...

12. DavidF

Hot off the press.... 20191215_093042.jpg

13. Sweet! That looks great. Super excited! Couple questions:
    - How thick is it?
    - Are the bubbles in the test tube raised? I can just barely see them in the photo.
    - Out of curiosity, why did you print it at an angle like that? I assumed it would be printed flat, back-side down.

14. DavidF

.170" for one half, can be lessened easily if you would like.

Yes, going to raise them a bit higher so they are more noticeable. Keep in mind selective polishing will make them show up better on the casting

Im still testing things, printing the next coin laying flat. Tilting on an angle helps lessen layer lines on angled surfaces, but as the height off the print bed increases, so does the print times (drastically!)
    laying the coin flat I can print them in 56 minutes, but it gets a bit of a "elephants foot" along the rim where it contacts the bed....

15. DavidF

16. DavidF

17. Looks really great, David. I love how smooth the prints are compared to filament printers. That thickness is fine with me. Selective polishing was my plan, yeah. Basically just polish all the raised areas. Exciting!

One thing I should probably add is pins to snap the halves together when molding. Maybe drill shallow holes in each half and use a little section of wood dowel.

18. DavidF

I was thinking about joining the two coin halves and adding an in gate to them with a follower to separate the coin at the parting line...
    The in gate would be the support while printing as well...
    They are pretty thin to be adding dowels and such into, sticky wax on a wood dowel would work to remove the halves, or join them together... keep in mind resin prints are brittle.

19. Got it, that sounds good.

20. DavidF

But will they print being totally vertical??
    Might still have to print in halves and glue them together... dunno...