Sil-bronze Sink!

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, May 21, 2020.

1. Bldr J

Bldr J Copper

Let me know what a sheet goes for. I could only find C280 Muntz for $1200 CAD 3' x 8'...

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Last time I checked which was a few months ago, the stuff was running $12.55 a pound!:eek:

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Called Farmers today... a 4x10ft sheet of 11g is 222lbs... Cost is $15.83 per pound!:eek: This is not going to be cheap! You don't have to be very smart to know why materials are sky rocketing!
    And those that don't know why are part of the problem.:mad:

4. Jason

Jason Gold

I think I can put this one to bed... Too bad my cabinet door maker got F'd over thanks to covid.:rolleyes:
    Doors and drawer fronts are just going to have to wait until I get the lift installed. I am not making them.

I was tempted to throw a clear coat at this and install it! But I found out in testing, a dark patina looks great after a few months.
    20220222_163928.jpg

I ran a mild liver solution on the hot bronze until I got the right level of brown.
    20220222_172907.jpg

Finding a granite that worked with the marfil marble was impossible. Went with 3cm thick Clarino quartz. It's white with brown/goldish veins running through it.
    Local bastards didn't want to work with me because I was also buying 3 slabs of 2cm for the shower walls. To say they weren't happy about slabs on the walls
    is an understatement. So we said F 'em and I found a guy in San Antonio that was more than happy to make some money. I did the counter install.

20220222_211648.jpg

20220225_030444.jpg

BattyZ and Tobho Mott like this.
  5. Bet you're glad to get it fairly complete and looking good!. Sounds like those marble guys feel like they have an exclusive right to sell the stuff in your area.

Jason likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah, my local clowns didnt sell this brand and didnt want to order it in. I ordered this top last september and picked it up just last week. While working this vanity, I also did the bedroom, that meant getting rid of stupid popcorn ceilings, flooring, wide base boards, doors, wide door casing and wrapped the windows in molding. Yeah, I'm a little tired.

here is a couple more photos.
    20220125_160249.jpg

20220125_200026.jpg

20220203_165541.jpg

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Heres a great trick for molding someone showed me years ago.

The problem
    20220207_170903.jpg

the solution.
    20220207_170911.jpg
    20220207_170935.jpg

20220207_171044.jpg

20220208_025602.jpg

Tobho Mott and rocco like this.
  8. How does the two screws work?, are there matching holes in the moulding strips for the heads to go into.

9. rocco

rocco Silver

The problem is edges of the drywall are tapered so the walls at floor level are not completely plumb but the cuts on the wood are, hence the gap in the joint seen in the first pic. The heads of the screws hold the wood away from the wall a little bit to compensate for the taper on the drywall.
    I'd not seen that trick before, it's a good one, filed away for future reference.

Jason, Tobho Mott and Mark's castings like this.

10. Ahhh so they are an adjustable shim to get the moulding strips perfectly vertical off the uneven walls.

11. rocco

rocco Silver

Exactly!

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Bingo. Adjustable jacks. I wish I could remember who showed me that one, it's saved my ass many times.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

We have another matching tray ceiling in the living room. I picture frame the center with 4 1/2" fluted case. My trick on that one is glue it together on the floor, leave over night and then get a couple people on ladders to raise it up. Perfect miters everytime! Why no one makes large corner clamps is beyond me. Biggest I've found holds piddly 3inch stuff.

20220122_215701.jpg

20220122_192222.jpg

14. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Just in case Jason is looking for more suggestions for the bronze bathroom upgrade. Honest, I'm not posting this just as an excuse to joke about shitty patterns with big ass cracks in them, or about how many cheeks it took. ;)

Jeff

15. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Best of all, think how nice it will feel on a fine December morning! A brilliant idea and, flush with success, I can understand the enthusiasm of the caster making this video.

Denis

Tobho Mott likes this.
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

With the current price of metal, it will be gone in a week.

17. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I didn't get translation but he sure seemed like he was gleefully blaming that woman for all the trouble.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  18. There was a solid 18 karat gold toilet stolen from Blenheim Palace, made by an artist, the work was titled "America".

America.jpg

19. Jason

Jason Gold

No doubt that has been melted down long long ago.