Sil-bronze Sink!

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, May 21, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Pete, we are seeing a trend toward raw finishes. It's a much lighter look than heavy dark stains common to the period.
    This french piece is a deal at 2grand compared to the shit sold today. This one is raw oak. I bet the finish was trashed so it was removed
    to let the new owner do want they want. It's at one of our haunts in Dallas. The specialize in antique euro furniture and Architecturals.

IMG_20200722_141305_1080x.jpg

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Turns out I'm getting quite an education in antique gold leaf.:rolleyes:
    This leaf was applied with oil based size to the red bole which is over the white gesso. Water is the wrong thing and it didnt touch it along with denatured alcohol.. So I'm thinking kerosene, but I dont have any on hand. Ah ha! JET FUEL! Well kiss my ass, it works! Stinks to high hell and my wife is happy but not really at the smell.:(
    Big difference! I dont want new, just cleaned and the few nicks not so obvious.
    20201215_183703.jpg

16081921133747386192798013247630.jpg

20201215_190547.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

Good progress on the sink the last couple of days. I got a small warp across the top sides because of 33inches of welding.
    After cutting the side free and clamping the hell out of it, It welded back together straight. Lesson learned. Slow wins the race.
    Gotta start hitting garage sales again for old school c clamps. The new stuff is junk.

20201219_203003.jpg

Checked with a level straight edge. I've got about an 1/8" dip in the middle. I can live with that. The trick will be the bottom edge of the sides. This is a top mount so it will need to sit flush on the granite. Thinking last step will be to invert this thing and drive it around on the BP to level the sitting edge.
    20201221_180100.jpg

Clay and Tobho Mott like this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

Work continues in the back ground. The drain system (and I'm calling it that because of its complexity) took me a fair amount of ass scratching. Number one it has to be removable! The sink does not have to hold water, but it cannot leak. So I came up with this idea. The drain is a long square box spanning the entire slot. The bottom of the V is actually 1inch inside the box. The outlet is located in the middle and I have a slope of 3/8" per foot. More than the recommended. Another issue is because of the length, the slot V spacing is critical for appearance so I came up with straps hidden beneath the slot and housed in the collector. Anyways, here is where she is at.

Tacked on straps to maintain the slot spacing.
    20210304_222247.jpg

Mockup with the ends in place. Bolts sunk into the bronze walls will allow for removal.
    20210309_135835.jpg

Here is the pipe I turned pressed into the bronze sheet. It gets welded and smoothed.
    20210309_201912.jpg

Drain box welding. Once the ends are welded on, I can plug the pipe and fill with water for leak check.
    20210310_000000.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  5. Gonna need GPS tracking for when the art thieves come.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

lmao.. no kidding. I've got a small fortune in this thing. And IS IT HEAVY!!

20210310_025335.jpg

7. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I'm not seeing where the bolts go. On the ends?

8. Peedee

Peedee Silver

It's a poor substitute for an olympic sized swimming pool in 316 stainless but I guess if you both sit on the counter you can dip your feet in it ;)

Seriously though that's a lot of bronze! How is the finish going to be?

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah I bet it cost a fortune. I've seen the prices on brass sheets, madness. I can only imagine bronze sheets which are harder to find.

You know what would be cool to make? Those little bronze in-ground garden light housing fixtures you see at fancy places along pathways. I've had it in mind to make some.

Oohh you have a tig torch holder. How do you like it? The number of times mine has slipped off the table and cracked the ceramic gas lens...

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah Petee, the bolts are still in the mail. After I welded on the end plates, I remembered I need to slot the plates. whoops. Angle grinder to the rescue.

Peedee, I agree totally bud, but my wife said once this bathroom is done, I get the greenlight on the backyard. If only I could not burn stainless welding it.:( Finish will be done with a brass wire wheel and let it go natural. Might hit it with some weak liver to start it off.

Ya know Zap, it really wasnt that bad all things considered. Sil bronze sheet is a little cheaper than straight copper. The sheet ran about 700bucks I think. Much cheaper than diamond spas. What is concerning me is the matching shower pan that I'll do next. I am definitely going to call in some professional help on that for a lot of bending work. It will cut down on some welding.

Your light idea is a good one. Especially if you lived on the beach. I saw some big ones for sale recently, but cant find them at the moment. Try 1st dibs. I thought they were a couple grand a pop. Looked like a dildo with an angle cut out near the top for the light. Easy to make when ya own the machinery. Speaking of machinery. I cut these pieces for this collector out on the bridgeport. I removed the vise, lined up the cut in a slot and let her rip. I'd much rather cut this 1/8" stuff like this anyday and its accurate too. No labor with the power feed on the X.:D

20210303_223642.jpg

Milling away the dollars.:(
    20210303_233745.jpg

Rotarysmp and Clay like this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

Inside corners are a real bitch! These cheapies off amazon helped out plenty. For bronze work, I highly recommend them. They'd probably load up with aluminium and bust clean off on steal.:rolleyes:
    Screenshot_20210319-130425_Samsung Internet.jpg

20210331_232449.jpg

20210331_220141.jpg

20210331_220133.jpg

Now this is the best use for a face diaper I have found so far!

20210331_220048.jpg

Clay, Bldr J and Tobho Mott like this.
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

Almost that time. Getting the carcass built. I picked up a p-cable dovetail jig and I'm going to try my hand at some dovetail drawer boxes. This thing is getting 10 drawers and barker wanted way too much money for drawer boxes. I am however wondering where I should add more meat to this. It's getting 3cm of natural stone and the sink weighs 60lbs. Birch plywood here is 3/4"
    Thoughts on supporting that weight? Length is 69" and 21" deep. Thanks!

20210531_002709.jpg

BattyZ and Clay like this.
  13. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

I reckon it will be strong enough. I have stood on the vanity in our bathroom, and given that I am a fatfcuk and the vanity was made by Ikea out of cornhusks and wallpaper glue, yours should be fine.
    Mark

Jason likes this.
  14. Jason

Jason Gold

lol.. cornhusks and wallpaper glue. Pretty true for IKEA stuff.

15. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Looks crap in front of the fireplace..... where do you southerners wash for goodness sake ;)

Rotarysmp and Jason like this.
  16. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

LMAO!!!

17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I think the thickness is fine for the weight. Looks kick ass man. But how are you affording wood??? That stuff is gold prices. Screenshot_20210506-224156_Facebook.jpg

Jason and Rotarysmp like this.
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

Actually, 3/4" birch is the same price here as 1/2" junk CD plywood. I bet there is going to be a lot of houses with birch under shingles. I did buy 2 2x4x8's and they were over 10bucks a piece!!:eek: I didnt use them, but you can bet they are going back on tuesday!

20210529_151250.jpg

19. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

It is not like it grows on trees!

20. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Ouch my eyes are watering. Those prices are nuts. The sawmills are making an absolute killing. Jeeze. I need a sheet or two of plywood for my steel storage rack but I can't justify 150$ for 2 pieces