WWII fighter planes

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Peedee, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Not quite a casting thread but I've just been offered a new job restoring WWII hurricane fighter planes!

After an 8mnth dry spell with work this has just fallen in my lap! The air strip and hangers are 5 minutes from my front door and it's a real company (not some enthuasts group in a shed!)

I'll get photos of the work (as and when I'm allowed) and put them up if there is any interest

OMM, _Jason, Clay and 6 others like this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

Good for you man! Can't wait to see the old girls!

3. rocco

rocco Silver

Very cool! Congrats.
    The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum is a very near my office, quite a number their aircraft are flight worthy so I will often see some of the old girls overhead, it never gets old, always brings a smile to my face. I took this picture during an airshow the museum hosted a few years ago, a Lancaster, a Mosquito, two Spitfires and two Hurricanes, a rare site indeed.

IMG_0100.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Great news Peedee. Go get'em!

5. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

Sounds like a dream job!
    Congrats!

6. rocco

rocco Silver

This is what's overhead today, the Avro Lancaster and the Canso PBY

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Congrats Peedee, sounds like fun!

Jeff

8. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Thanks all, It's a world away from my typical work environments (Hit it and hope)

Need to pass a trial period but if forsee a fair bit of riveting and soldering to begin with.

They have just finished a two seat conversion that is running flights out of Biggin Hill.

9. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

You must be living right Peedee. Congrats!

Al

10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Been a hard few years Gippeto so this seems too good to be true. I didn't even know they were there until two weeks ago so I wrote a 'hello' letter to one of the directors and he asked me to drop in.

I guess you make your own oppertunities sometime (or maybe it was fate?) around here there is nothing on the job market just now and what is is dead-end being chased by hundreds of people!

First job stripping a crash damaged wing spar on a Hurricane, whoop whoop!

11. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Will they let you take pictures to show us?? :D

12. Peedee

Peedee Silver

This is one of there images so should be OK to post. Will try to get some more.

Hurricane_01.jpg

oldironfarmer and Tobho Mott like this.
  13. Peedee

Peedee Silver

14. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Apparantly they often find bullets when stripping the panels!!!! Surreal!

15. Peedee

Peedee Silver

This is the just finished 2 seat with dual controls
    2_seat Hurricane.jpg

Jim Edgeworth and Gippeto like this.
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

Remember, the sun's gotta shine on a dog's ass Someday!

17. Peedee

Peedee Silver

This 'dog's ass' wants to stand 6 foot from a Merlin V12 even if I go deaf as a result :)

When discussing wages I nearly said 'just pay my mileage!'

18. Jason

Jason Gold

Without a doubt, one of the coolest engines ever built!

19. rocco

rocco Silver

Absolutely!!
    The Lancaster pictured in my earlier posts uses four of them, when they rev up all four prior to takeoff, it's a magnificent sound.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  20. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Glad you didn't just find work, but a cool job this time. Are you an A&P or AME PeeDee? If not, start a log book listing what you did on which parts each day, and have a licensed guy or the boss sign it off each week. If you can show three years work experience (your log) you are a big step towards becoming licensed. Aviation employment is not the most stable environment, but generally there is always a shortage of licensed aircaft mechanics.

I remember when I was an apprentice, the F-4 Corsair of the alpine fighter collection came to visit our air force base. When I started up to depart, I had the dubious honor of standing behind the prop, with two hands full of rags, and instructions that if there is a carburettor fire, stuff it out with the rags. No really idea how the would have worked out, but standing next to an R-2800 cranking over was a memorably aerosexual experience :)
    Mark

Gippeto likes this.