Ruby Casting (verneuli flame fusion)

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Apr 21, 2021.

1. dtsh

dtsh Silver

I don't know what format the zeolite is in for that application, but I use a form of it as molecular sieves (~ 1mm spheres) in some of my non-foundry applications and it is also the base of some hydroponic substrate I've used (~ 1cm spheres)

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Since finishing night shift (80 hr work weeks) I've had a day or two to work on the machine. Got the connection bit between the hopper tank and the burner assembly all finished. I even threaded and tapped internal parts that have gaskets to seal off the inner chambers from the capillary tube burner parts. In other words a lot of tapping.

Next I'm going to mount the hopper and burner tube on the post and build an adjustable connector so I can position it perfectly where I need it.

Most of the nit picky work is done now. I think I'll buy an hho system or two and see if it works before trying the other crazier ideas like building a separator etc...

This project would have been a hundred times easier with a milling machine... sigh.

20210823_214303.jpg 20210823_214315.jpg

Clay and amber foundry like this.
  3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Finished the adjustable bracket thing that holds the powder container. Just need to tap two or four set screws so I can lock the position in place.

I'll start working on the tapper mechanism soon. Then I can order the hho system and powdered aluminum and start flame tests.

20210825_191938.jpg 20210825_191922.jpg 20210825_195937.jpg 20210825_195946.jpg

4. This thing is amazing. Really cool project and I've enjoyed reading this thread. What a unique idea. Can't wait to see the final products!

Zapins likes this.
  5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Thanks. I'm working on it now. Just messed up the damn handle. Stupid plastic crap. I will remake it in steel later. Blah.

Clay likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

Almost ready for Orbit! You sleeping on that couch in the garage? :p

7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hopefully no orbit lol. There are pressure fit parts in the burner so if it does flash back it can pop apart without blowing up.

Yes I take frequent naps/breaks on couch - its great!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I need some help decoding what this guy said regarding the power supply of his hho systems. I feel like he is not good at explaining what is needed and what options I have for powering his hho system. Any translators out there?

Him:
    "If your arc welder output is in DC, if it is controllable, ie variable. Not much input would be needed. If it is static, ie fixed rate via switches. Then it goes from DC to bridge rectifer AC, to controller, then back to bridge rectifer to DC. As there are no high voltage dc
    controllers.

If you are looking for a complete system, it would be almost identicalto the TT124 truck box. Except reconfigured to 110-120, would not have the pwm controllers, and would be mounted into a 30X18X18 side box, flipped vertical like a cabinet. Not a step box for a semi. Now if you are going to mount it under a flat bad, or rv, etc. It would need to be horizontal, as originally intended. It's just a matter of usage."

Me:
    "As far as the power supply goes I am not very experienced with the requirements needed. I figured if I got two 62 plate systems I could wire them up somehow and split the voltage between them so they both get 12.5v. Other options would be good to know about too.

I have an old tombstone style lincoln arc welder which I never really use and would be happy to modify it or take it apart for parts if it would work. It has switches and can be changed from 40 to 225 amps in roughly 10 amp increments (it can supply 70 amps constantly forever without overheating). How important is infinitely variable control to hydrogen production?"

Him:
    "The configuration aspect, the wiring of a cell, is specific to the voltage usaged. To change the voltage configuration for a cell, it has to be rewired. They are not variable, as it is inherent to the neutral plates, between the positive/negative power plates. So for 110-120, it is 60 plates total, with 58 neutrals. 62 is in the GA 62, so the other 2 are still tabbed, so it can be moved a plate or too for users to fiddle with them."

Me:
    "Hmm. My voltage source would probably be 240v then. I don't have a 120v plug that has 30 amp capacity (20 amp max on my circuits). My 240 v line goes up to 50 amps so I could draw plenty of power that way."

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I think I've been spoiled by your guys' good explanations. This guy is hella confusing.

If the arc welder won't work as a power supply (or will it?) then maybe I can build a system to convert 120v ac to DC.

It seems that if I buy two 60 plate systems then I can run it off 120v if converted to DC. It seems like I can get 9 liters per minute this way using 15 amps.

If I plug each hho generator into a different outlet then I can power each hho generator off 120v without tripping a single 20 amp breaker.

Anyone know how to build the rectifier system?

Still feel like the arc welder might be easier but I'm a little unsure how to proceed with that.

10. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Bridge rectifiers are pretty easy to build, but even easier to buy. Here is one that will handle considerable amperage and votage.

https://www.amazon.com/Puly-Bridge-...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I am not enough of an electronics guy to know all the ins and outs of their use, though. Pretty sure some guys here do have that knowledge. Based on insufficient knowledge of their use, I think the one linked might just do the job.

Wiki has a good basic-info article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge

Denis

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  11. It might pay to get a few small plates of thin sheet stainless steel, separate them with some thin dowels or paddle pop stick and hold the assembly together with a rubber band, stick it in a coffee jar with water and a teaspoon of baking soda and hook it up in series with a 12 volt car indicator bulb (20 Watts?) and power the assembly with a 12 Volt 6 Amp old school transformer battery charger. The light bulb limits the short circuit current flow and will let you measure a certain voltage across the two plates of your cell. If you exceed the galvanic corrosion voltage of the plate material it will erode away and be damaged (how you make etched data plates). This means the higher your power supply voltage the more "cells" you need in series (just like battery) for it to run reliably.

I would imagine to separate the oxygen and the hydrogen, you'd have a PVC pipe U made from pipe and elbows with the + plate in one vertical pipe and the - plate in the other connected by a horizontal tube to allow current and ions to flow. The hydrogen is in one pipe and the oxygen in the other pipe. Several of the cells connected in series with the hydrogen gas pipes all connected to a common manifold for use.

Electromotive-series-of-metals.png

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  12. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Is there a language barrier, if he's a fluent English speaker I'd be seriously worried about his systems by those replies (Unless of course he's replying to your messages drunk!) Have you got a link to the generator?

13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmm.

He sent me an invoice via PayPal. I think PayPal guarantees purchases and invoices so I have buyer protection as far as I know.

I'm guessing he does speak a different language.

His site is: http://www.fuelcellllc.com/ seems legit. I've seen him sell a lot of systems on ebay. Thats how I found his site

14. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Bought:
    - 15-30 lpm flashback arrestor for free.
    - GA62 HHO Dry Cell, configured for 110-120 volt, includes bridge rectifiers. 2 x$295.00.

Also need to track down two 20 amp router speed controllers for 120v. They seem hard to find.

Hho should be here next week.

I'll put in an order for aluminum oxide powder and aluminum oxide rod from the supply site mentioned on page 7. 99.9999% pure aluminum oxide 10 kg for about $74 and a rod 24 inches long by 1 cm thick for 34 and 25 shipping (125 ish total).

And with all of that I'm about done with purchases to get it running aside from adding fancy paint and lights for show etc.

Total cost just over $1000. I'll calculate it later more in detail.

15. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

16. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Ughhh. That site i ordered the aluminum oxide seems to be dicking me around. They are saying they only have 10 kg minimum qt at 49 bucks each kg. Thats crazy $

Will have to find other sources. Sighhhh. Means it probably won't arrive before next week.

I see some on alibaba.com and aliexpress maybe worth buying off there?