SVSeeker Update

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by FishbonzWV, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Ya-know, when I saw that initial video, I thought it seemed quite staged and the behaviors of all three characters off.......Doug is supposedly in a coma undergoing surgery for life threatening brain and they're back home making videos? I thought hmmmmm, that's not right. But after all, it is a YouTube channel about a guy that started building a boat in his yard and then turned it into a living for .....how many years now? Anyway, taking the high road accepting the news, and wishing them well seemed to be the best course instead of call BS........but some random thoughts.

I'm embarrassed to say since inception SV Seeker has gotten a sum total of ~30 minutes of my life including this post. I originally saw a post some years back searched and surfed his website for 5-10 minutes and had a Yakoff Smirnoff thought....what-a-country! Then another 10 minutes when Zap sent his Octopus. Now this.

This morning I listened to him explain his social experiment. In addition to the hoax, the guy confesses he's agnostic, thinks Atheists are more motivated in life than Christians, and doesn't care about anyone except his crew. He forgot to throw in his political alignment, sexual orientation, and position on climate change, & immigration.

• Anything that alienates you from half or more of the people that would otherwise be with you is a poor strategy.
    • Instead of worrying about his heart and loosing weight he should get some meds for bipolar disorder.
    • 150-175k subs?? I initial missed the "k". Think he's going to take a big hit to his financial and volunteer support.
    • Spent a day making that with those knuckleheads instead of working on the boat and then post the tout takes about what a side splitting time they had with the hoax?
    • Everyone that wants to go volunteer on SV Seeker raise their hand........LOL!
    • ......He's a grade-A nut job.

It'll be interesting to see what Zap has to say. 30 minutes is enough for me but predict more mea culpa from him (Doug/SV Seeker that is).

Best,
    Kelly

2. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I'm more concerned for Zap than anything else, I haven't followed this chap and don't know anything about him, but Zap put a lot of skill and hard work into that bronze. I'd be royally peed off he has it now.

Mark's castings and Jason like this.
  3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Zaps been on but hasnt commented. I watched part 2 of the ships wheel video awile ago. In that video they took a grinder to Zaps artwork to "fit" it to the wheel. Well no sense in commenting further on that one...

Jason likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

It's not just Zap I feel bad for... It's the countless number of hard working people that dumped thousands of FREE MAN hours into this thing. And this is how Doug shows gratitude by screwing with their emotions? I choose not to get life lessons from social media, that's what my parents were for.

Maybe Zap thought the joke was funny, we don't know. Surprisingly, 37% seem to be "on board" with this... (see what I did there?:p)

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I thought his boat build was pretty interesting in the beginning, where he hoisted some big steel sheets up and started welding them together.

At some point his build morphed from "building a boat" to "perpetual boatbuilding artwork".

I was never a subscriber because I expected him to finish the boat and launch in about a year, or two years max.

Then he monitized everything with the stuff he sells in his store, and it became obvious that his channel was about selling stuff, not boatbuilding.

Monitizing stuff and making artwork is fine, and I didn't really care if he launched the boat or not (I never really took his boatbuilding seriously).
    The maintenance on a steel hulled boat in saltwater is not something most people can afford (fresh water is bad enough on a steel hull).
    Dock fees can be rather high too.
    He never really seemed to have a good game plan once he got the boat done, and I would be surprised if he ever finished and launched the boat.

I always looked at his build as an entertainment thing, never as a serious boat build.

From an artwork standpoint, I really liked the octopus, and I thought that whole process and the creativity involved was fantastic.
    There is no way to know that the person you give artwork to will jump shark.

I saw some obvious red flags in his videos that others mentioned made it obvious that it was a hoax, but I guess we tend to want to believe and trust people, and so we make excuses for things that are not adding up.

In the grand scheme of things, he and his boat are less than a tiny gnat smashed onto the great windshield of life.

From an ethical standpoint, I find fraud like this to be rather disturbing.
    From the standpoint of those who were subscribed as monthy financial contributers, I would not be at all surprised at a class action lawsuit for fraud, and even a civil lawsuit for fraud.

He will get what he plays for, but he may have some really ugly stuff come his way.

He has become the king on the ytube throne of stupidity (just my opinion), and that takes a significant talent to get to that position.
    I watch ytube because I don't have much time to get out and do much else, and it serves as a way to take a quick break from work without leaving the desk.

As the old saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me".

6. DavidF

The hoax video has been taken down..
    Wonder if he did it or Y/T

7. DavidF

He set it to private..

8. OMM

OMM Silver

With all the YT unsubscribers and Patreon unsubscribers, maybe he had add some more commercials to make up for lost revenue.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Made the Tulsa newspaper and tv news....:rolleyes: I think Matt is onto something.... Wonder if the FBI will pay him a little visit for this stunt? The kingofRandomUseles-shit went through something very similar... minus the brain doctor of course.

10. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

Ya know...he did pour a lot of lead into those keels ??????
    What's the effects of lead poisoning?
    Brain loss

Jason likes this.
  11. DavidF

Think I'm going to set up a patron page and see if I can get $2,500 a month :p
    First project, build a torpedo;)

Jason likes this.
  12. PatJ

PatJ Silver

He runs a docudrama, and you get what you pay for.
    Someone called him a psychopath in his comment section.
    I think that is a pretty accurate description.
    From the net:

Psychopathy is traditionally a personality disorder characterized by persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse, and bold, disinhibited, and egotistical traits.

There is nothing to say that ytubers are necessarily normal people, and indeed it is the most outrageous behavior that gets the most views.
    I can think of several ytubers like that.

We all reward the behavior with each view.
    To be fair, I was not viewing SV's channel, and would never have looked at it had Michael not made that wonderful wheel decoration for him.

I did not watch KOR, or Glumpy, or many others.

Once they cross over from creative stuff into docudramas, I tune out.
    Watching docudramas is like watching soap operas on TV; its quite far removed from every day reality, but many folks watch that stuff like hogs a a trough, and just can't seen to get enough.

I don't have cable, and don't watch TV or Netflix, so ytube has sort of evolved into a modern day TV for me.

13. PatJ

PatJ Silver

There is money to be made, and anyone with a dynamic sort of personality can get on ytube and basically chat about anything, and a surprising number of people will subscribe.
    Its about entertaining people, and people want to be entertained.
    Movies at the theater are basically crap these days, and people want better entertainment that is not make by the Hollywood elites.
    There is a very real demand for it, and people will pay for it.
    Quite a phenomena.

Edit:
    I would never make it on ytube because I come across on video like wet cardboard, with about the same or less appeal.
    I just like making stuff.
    If people watch my videos, that is icing on the cake, but I never make things to get ytube views.
    I make things because it is a fun hobby that I enjoy.

14. OMM

OMM Silver

His station has over 50 million views. Most of them in the past six years. His Adsense is probably between $2000-$4000 per million views. So it’s safe to say he makes $25,000-$30,000/y. His Patreon followers probably match that or more. Then he has his swarf, t-shirts and stickers and crap. I also think he has crowdfunding and a online store.

I might be short guessing this, but he’s having fun in his backyard making $100,000 a year.

YouTube gave him AdSense never gave him common-sense.

15. Jason

Jason Gold

I think your numbers are a little low Matt.

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Come on Zap.. I KNOW you see us.. How ya doing bud?

17. PatJ

PatJ Silver

There are probably copies out there in internet land.
    This video will probably dog him for the rest of his life.
    It will never go away.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    _Jason likes this.
  18. DavidF

Need to post one here...so it doesnt go away.

19. Jason

Jason Gold

As they say... the internet never forgets.

20. DavidF

I know I wont. It wasn't so much his prank, but his responses he gave.
    Boat is almost finished and I'm thinking this is his way of ditching the internet supporters so he does not have to follow through with the promises he has made. "Research vessel for those in need" I cant think of any educator that would put a group of students on his boat after this hoax , let alone an insurance company that would cover an egotistical jack ass that sets of explosives in his boat and fakes his injuries.
    Plus he is no captain , to charter people he would need a captain's license for a vessel of this size. The license is not required if the vessel is just used for personal excursions.